My IDE Test Results

Well that's a good writeup, except that the person who challenged you did so for the wrong reasons.

The IDE config "debate" is not about a single device becoming slower if it is in a master/slave configuration. It has to do with copying, ripping, or burning to devices that may share the same channel, as on the IDE bus only one device can talk at once. I see that at the end there you do cover that point. This is also why disabling auto insert notification on the drive sharing with your audio drive is recommended, although the actual problem won't manifest itself until you're taxing the system.

Another thing you might try is putting a CDROM drive in PIO mode and then seeing if that doesn't slow down a hard drive on the same channel. I believe that was the original IDE issue from long ago you spoke of. Also, after much testing of my own long ago, I concluded that sustained transfer did not increase as max burst speed increased...thus sustained transfer doesn't improve as you move from ATA/33, 66, 100, etc. Those tests were run long ago, however, so I can't say for sure whether that is still true. My point being that you can't tell what mode a device is operating in simply by looking at sustained transfer rates.

Good writeup!

Slackmaster 2000

Slackmaster2K said:

My point being that you can't tell what mode a device is operating in simply by looking at sustained transfer rates.

Good writeup!

Slackmaster 2000

That is slowly changing though...Have you seen the transfer rates on the latest big IDE drives? They are getting up there...

Thanks Slack. Appreciate a good word.

WOW here's someone who really spends some time to get his system right.
Looks good.
Can't realy give anny comment on the results tho, I based my setups on articles that were made in serious lab tests with more than one computer.
I wil look and see if I can find the tests and compare them with your results.

PEACE

Last edited:
Better yet. Can you give me a link to those results? I would like to see them too.......Hmm...Why didn't I think of that before?

I have to search my magazines so I can't give you a link and they are written in Dutch..........
But there might as well be some of the same information on the net.

Back