My HRC 3 submission (The Rains)

Doug H

I'll be there
No reverb, no compression, no eq and no plugins or effects.

This is probably the last 3 chord wonder from me for a while. It's a bit more ambitous than my other stuff. It's an old song I wrote years ago that I was starting to think about re-doing when this challenge came up.

There's a couple of small bloopers (as usual) but I don't see doing any retracking on this for a while, so before the challenge is completely forgotten...

The Rains

edit:
oh, I even used the sans bass cur bass samples :)
Sorry 'bout having two threads at once in the clinic, I'm kinda cleaning off my slate.

Last edited:
man thats pretty good giutar sound for dry ....
vocals sound great ...what the hell is that ?!?!?!...flute?...noway your playing that ?!?!?!?!
awesome...
man it really takes off ...i like it ..
was that flute??..or recorder??..or what?!?!

oh YEAH DRUMS KICK IN....LEAD GIUTAR!!!!....
man this rocks pretty good ...excellent guitar playing ...yeah a couple flubs but that was great ..

i really dug that affect on the end..

sweet!.
jamal

edit.....to add the stars.....*****

cool lil song. It was as dry as anything I`ve ever heard too :). I liked the parts you tracked, real clean, but that flute scared the heck out of me. I was looking out the window listening real loud and I though somebody had walked in and played somethin on the synth. :eek:

Ironic that it was called the rains and it was that dry :)

Jamal Bucket
Great review, thanks :)
It's a recorder and it's "live" lol

Toki987
"but that flute scared the heck out of me"
lol. Ya that's an interesting twist concernng the name. I pick the "no effects" challenge to do a song about rain. Go figure.

Thanks for checking it out.

Wow, neat. My first impression is you've been listening to some Nick Drake lately. C'mon, fess up...:)

Very 60s vibe to this. Sounds well recorded. This could be a monster with the proper effects. Nice dynamic shifts, nice singing. Nice playing.

Now let's hear it with some effects, eh? Don't go apeshit with them though, because the spareness works with this tune. A little verb or delay, some compression, some eq to place things a little better...

Very cool,
Chris

Dude, the song and the arrangement kicks ass! Very well put together. Thanks for sharing that one. I loved the flute and the build of the song.

bd

Nice ambience. Nice little chord progression.

I thought the acoustic could have been recorded just a little hotter. Seemd a bit quiet.

The flute was a little loud.

Weird percussion sound, but I liked it.

The electric guit was a little harsh. Just a little.

Like the way things kicked in a little after 3 mintues. But I thought that might have been a little late in the song. I liked the lead guit - both the part and the tone on the guit.

My thoughts.

groucho
Never heard of Nick Drake, Jethro Tull would be the influence if I had to pick one.

I agree that any effects should be minimal.

Thanks for the good words.

bdbdbuck
Thanks! :)

Kool ass tune Doug H, Jethro Tull indeed!:) . 60's early seventies vibe for sure...but I for one still love all of it. Thanks for sharing man.

btw; guitar tone/work was outstanding..I liked your vocals on this, kept wanting to hear some effects tho:D . Great job*****

TripleM
Some good thoughts too. The accoustic level is a bit of a balancing act, I have to be carefull not to blow the full band thing, and I may still toy around with the arrangement a bit, especially through the song's first go 'round.

The percussion isntrument can only be described as "some kind of drum". I'd really like to get some cool percussion instruments.

Thanks for the listen!

freshears
Thanks man :).
I've half a mind to try and keep this an effectless mix. I'll have to see how it goes.

Kudos to whoever suggested this challenge ( I forget who), it's a perspective on tracking and sounds I'm glad I got at this stage of the game, not to mention all the cool tunes that came out of it.

Sure it's rough around the edges...but wow! Especially when the band kicks in. Those parts just interlocked so well during the loud part. Great band sound! I love your overdriven electric tone too, so after I'm thinking I'm not gonna get to hear it this time around...bam!

The recorder is pretty cool. It is a little rough on the ears. I don't know if that can be tweaked or not. Never mixed a recorder before.

But other than the recorder, effectless is working here. Great tune!

fprod south
I'm hoping mixing the recorder in a bit lower will take the edge off. If I get around to retracking I'm going to try and dig up a higher quality instrument.

:) thanks for the listen and positive comments on the mix.

that flute rules! gave me a Jethro vibe.. very cool song.. acoustic sound could be better.. a few vocal rough spots.. wasn't crazy about some things like the drums, but screw it.. I think this is my favorite tune of yours.. nice guitar too!

'good song..

(B.Sabbath)

Cygnus X-1
Ya, I mic'd the acoustic at a fair distance to try and get some ambience. I was happy enough with how it turned out, but I've heard lots better on the board. I'll be taking notes when I hear a good track, I'm hoping to do some more accoustic stuff here and there.

"...my favorite tune of yours..." :) cool

Thanks for checking it out

Are you Jamal? He he .... (or as bucket himself would say "lmao")

(sorry your voice is just so similar)...

Are you pounding your chest during the recorder part?

Like the way the song builds!! Some pretty significant timing issues... but this is for a clinic challenge, so some slide-age is allowed (and it's better than any quickie I would defecate :D)

Whoa... when the bass comes in... very nice... then drums... okay, here we go.... it's a 70's AOR rock your ass Tull thing, or somethin!! Love the emotion and the rock-out-ness.

Ebow? Nice.

As far as recording quality goes... eh... too many things to pick out. As far as song goes? Very cool. The other stuff I've heard from you's had the polish in all the right places, so no biggie here.

Good job

Chad

participant
Jamal is probably cringing, but I'll just say thanks. :)

Ya, there's one big timing blooper that bugs me, I should have done somthing about that one at least.

The stuff at tthe end is old fahsioned volume twisting with two inverse echo tracks.

"Are you pounding your chest during the recorder part?"
lol, I think the drum is supposed to be ornamental, I'm not sure, but ya gotta go with what you have. I was at the Ottawa Folklore Center a couple of days ago and they had a whole room full of percussion instruments, very cool, I'd like to get into some of that.

"70's AOR "
AOR ??

Thanks alot for listening :)

participant said:
Are you Jamal? He he .... (or as bucket himself would say "lmao")

(sorry your voice is just so similar)...

Chad

jeeez chad why dont you just kick him in the package...
what did doug ever do to you...?!?!?

:D

I'd like to hear more stuff like this in the clinic. Really imaginative, and when the band comes in full on, really satisfying. Those recorders are a really good idea, and the quiet weaving of voice and quiet instruments sets up the loud electric part really well. This one won't get near a radio station because it's a little ragged in places, but you know what? I don't care, cuz I like it a lot. :)

You know, ever since I got here, this place has had the following effect on my music: I take more pains to play in time and in tune. That makes my music a bit more acceptable to the discriminating listener, and that's good for the listener, but there's a downside as well - I don't play quite as free as I used to maybe.

It's a tradeoff. Which way's it gonna be for you?

Back