"My Heart Sinks" - comments welcome

Kelly5150 - thank you, glad you liked it!

powderfinger - thanks for listening. The drums are the BlueJay soundfonts from www.sonicimplants.com, and the "programming" is mainly SlicyDrummer and FillinDrummer from www.musiclab.com, with a wee bit of manual tweaking by me. There's a little reverb on the snare and the cymbals, and I beefed up the "thud" in the kick drum with EQ.

MISTERQCUE - thanks for the kind words. I agree that the chorus vocals need something - I'll try out delay, and also double-tracking.

skids - don't worry, I was being light-hearted! :) And I really do have a lot to learn about guitar sounds. I know what you mean about the phrasing - I'll see if I can improve it with some re-tracking. Although you know what it's like - you listen to a track a few times, and then you get used to it as it is, warts and all. Then if you "fix" it, it doesn't sound right.

dobro - great to hear from you as always. You're the third person to notice that the chorus vocal needs something - maybe a simple level boost is it.

Acoustics being "in front of" the vocal - I think you made the same comment about one of my previous songs. And you're right, I've done it again! I shy away from putting too much reverb on the acoustics, because I like the sound and I don't want to drown it. And dulling some of the highs, which is sometimes another way to move things "back" in the mix, spoils the nice sparkly sound of the strummed acoustics. I wonder if the extreme panning is part of the problem? I'll try moving things in a wee touch. There probably is a way to get it right, but I haven't found it yet. :(

Metallic effect on the solo guitars - well, the only effect there is compression. The main solo line is doubled and panned apart, and there's a harmony line in the middle. I compressed them as a group, rather than each track individually, which gave an effect I liked.

The basic guitar tone is a little abrasive, but I quite like it that way. But I know what you mean, and someone else noticed the "metallic" tone too; I think it might be because I'm running the amp at very low volume, so I'm missing the warmth that can come when you really crank it up. Maybe a wee bit of chorus would warm up the sound slightly?

Thanks for listening.

Guernica - always a pleasure to hear from you, and I love that you like the song. I'm not sure what you're hearing at 3:10. It might be the D#sus4, though, which is the second chord in the four-chord sequence that the whole song uses. There's an F## and a G# in that (i.e. a semitone apart) that is (intentional) dissonance. If it's something else you're hearing, let me know. It could well be a bum-note. :)

Pedullist - thank you.

renagade - thank you for the kind words. I know what you mean about the "metallic" sound; I think dobro is hearing the same thing. I'll try some chorus to warm it up. I'll try bringing the vocal up a touch to see if that improves the clarity. Thanks for taking the time to help!

Cheers to everyone for listening - I really appreciate it.

AB

Excellent song, really liked it. Mix was good. Sort of a mumphy lo-fi thing going on in the lower end, not sure what, but it keeps this one from really soaring. there wasn't a lot of bite overall, especially the bottom end.

Nice job tracking the vocals.

This is really nice. Very good song. Good recording. This is beyond my meager skills to pick apart. I'll just say I like this and this goes into the keepers folder for me. I'll be spinning this song for my own pleasure in the future.

Nice work!!

Very nice dude. I dig it the way it is... I really can't think of anything specific that I'd change. Good jorb. :D

WATYF

Doug H - thanks, glad you like it. I can hear the low-end problem too, but I can't pin it down. I'll try tweaking the guitars a wee bit.

Jagular - nice to hear from you again, and thank you for the great compliment.

WATYF - great to hear from you too, glad it's to your taste.

I'll try and get an improved mix out next week.

Cheers

AB

cool intro.

singer has good voice and songwriter definitely knows about melody.

The "my heart sinks" chorus did not manifest as a wildcard so unfortunately, it gets a wildcard score of :C-

Loved it!

Played it over a few times now and for what you're using and the results you're comming out with all I can say is FIRTS CLASS!

I'm going through your cataloge now at NR. Great to hear someone Scottish using their own accent. Where in Glasgow are you? I'm about 20 miles out now in South lanarkshire.....used to be in Kelvinside.

Alec

nice sound! I really dig the drum and acoustic guitar sounds. The intro has a very nice stereo spread, but as soon as the drum and electric guitars kick in, the stereofield somehow seems narrowed. Did you double the electric guitars there, if you did, I think you should change one of them to a different tone, so the "wall of sound" can be enhanced.

I like the vocal alot, good voice and singing, but for some reason, I get the feeling that he doesn't know the lyrics very well:confused: Did you record the vocal right after you wrote the lyrics??

Al

Back