My Getaway Driver - Country Rock Mix

Whatmysay

Happy New Year

Really appreciate feedback on this one. Usually do Alt-Country, but trying for a commercial sound on this one - thoughts pls on mix

Cheers

Burt

My Getaway Driver

If you can’t fix the brakes then make the horn louder
I’m warning you girl I can’t slow down
Workdays prison
The weekend’s freedom
I’m breaking out its Friday night

Ch
Be my getaway driver and we’ll steal the night
My getaway driver I got a sweet, sweet ride
Good times are diamonds and they’re all for the taking
Everyone just having fun
There ain’t no law we’re braking as we steal the night

If you can’t stand the heat get out of the kitchen
Girl when you dance you’re as hot as the sun
You love a big crowd
You can’t wait to get loud
You’re going to be my perfect partner in crime

Ch

Bridge
If having fun’s become illegal I stand accused
But baby your so beautiful, well I’d do time if that times with you

Ch (variation)
Be my getaway driver and we’ll steal the night
My getaway driver I got a sweet, sweet ride
My getaway driver, its Friday night
My getaway driver, be my partner in crime
Good times are diamonds and they’re all for the taking
Everyone just having fun
There ain’t no law we’re braking as we steal the night
Be my getaway driver, come on girl let’s drive.

When the panned right lead lines are happening my brain wants the slide lines on the other side rather than up top.
Oh, in the intro & 1st verse the panned lead was VERY reminiscent of Dave Hill from Slade - cool stuff.
This does have a commercial country sound & the right sort story as well.
Is the braking instead of breaking in the penultimate line a deliberate pun?
The mix is pretty well sorted from my point of view.
Professional mix & master would probably take this all the way to a DJ but for now: wow!

Thanks Ray - no pun not intended, but I think it is now!

As it is you I'll let you know it is for a pitch at the Ausi Country Artist Adam Brand? Have you heard of him? I didn't know him, after not living in Aus for 22 years, bit I did my research and I think it might be in the ball park?

Cheers and Happy new Year

Great tune man! I feel I am missing a bunch of love for the low end on this mix tho. My sub isn't moving at all. Main vocal seems a bit out front for my taste. Good thing it doesn't suck! lol

Good work otherwise dood. :D

It sounds as though you cut out a lot of the low to low-mid frequencies or something. Many things (like the rhythm guitar left, vocals, and drums) sound thin or almost tinny to me. Or maybe my sub just stopped working. Have you listened to it on several other playback systems? I would fatten some things up a bit.

That snare might benefit from a little parallel compression. It has a lot of head attack and not much body.

Other than that, it's a good song. A well balanced mix and not overly compressed. I like it.

Thanks Jimmy & Raw

I cleaned out the bass at 40Hz and and kick a bit above that - I felt the kick was above the E and must admit this is the first time I EQed kick above bass but I was happy with sound - I listen to the mix in car (never great for defining bass) on the way to work and again sounded fine. I think my listening space/monitors are not really giving the right bass response (as it is a small room), perhaps I am just going to have to learn the space better and compensate.

Pleased you thought it well balanced and not overly compressed as this has been a crit in the past.

Cheers
Burt

WMS,
Yep Adam Brand is youngish & a bit cross over. This'd be cool via him & it's in his stylistic range.
Good luck with it.
22 years from Oz is a long time. It does suggest you're comfy at home where you are!
Cool stuff as I said.
Hope the NYE fireworks didn't smoke you out!

Thanks Ray

Yes comfortable but still miss Coopers & New on tap and good 'surf and turf' that you don't need to get a mortgage to pay for. Fireworks good in HK but still not a shade on Sydney - our big ones are in 3 weeks for Chinese New Year - the year of The Dragon, named after my wife (couldn't resist)

Cheers
Burt

Enjoyed the song! Can't say I'm an expert at mixing at all, but yeah like the guys have said it is lacking a bit of the lower end on my headphones which are usually quite bassy. I liked the vocals at that level, diction is clear which for me is important in a song like this. Real ood lyrics too.

Sorry I can't offer much more up in terms of technical tips being a bit of newbie haha but I enjoyed the listen, and could do with learning how you get each of the instruments to sound so clear in your mix!

James
Red & Other Colours

Thanks James

Yes definitely look at bass - clarity comes from position/trying to not to have too many thing on same side in same octave at same time and accepting that you can EQ a sound that can sound really bad when soloed, but great in the mix. I really chiselled out the snare/kick/bass with 'opposite EQs' & I am very happy with the results. I have been focusing a lot on song writing and plying/learning more banjo/mandolin the last year and have just come back to working on mixing again. These 1 & 2 books are full of absolutely great advice as is this forum.

HTH
Burt

Ahh Cheers for the tips!

Funnily enough I actually got this book for christmas, so maybe I should bury my head in it for a few days! I must admit that I really havent thought that much about eq'ing instruments for the greater good of the mix, instead doing gross and rough eq boosts by ear at an early stage - definately something i need to have a think about so thanks!

Don't want to detract from this thread though being your song haha! But thanks for the track - was a good listen! Look forward to hearing some more!

James

Back