My future studio setup - feedback please!

Zorlee

Hi! This is the drummer Zorlee!
I'm soon going to buy a new studio-computer. That will be my first step into the world of home-recording.
I'm going to work a lot this summer, so I'll hopefully get some money to use on other things as well.
That being said, I'm still on a budget here. But I want good quality recordings, so I would want you guys to give me some feedback on the equipment I've been thinking about buying:

Computer (2 gb ram, Penium 4 2,8 GHz, Hard-drives: 1x80 GB, 1x250 GB - 7200 RPM)
Microphones: Shure SM57 (Snare), Audix D6 (Bassdrum), 2 x Studio Projects B1 (Overheads)
Mixer: Yamaha MG 16/4 (Not sure about this one, maybe I'll see if I can find a Mackie 2nd hand... But they're expensive!!)
Interface: Audiotrack INCA88 (I already have this, so I won't be needing to buy it... It's a 8 i/o soundcard)
Superlux Studio headphones for monitoring
Software: Cubase

Can you guys (and only serious replys thank you) give me some feedback if this is a good buy? Or if I should look into something else?
Especially give me some tips about mixers... I'm not completely sure what to buy, but ideally I would want a mixer with good mic preamps, and if possible direct outs! (I know that the Yammie mixer don't have this... So if I go for that mixer, I can't use it for other than gain control/preamp).

Thank you guys in advance!

I don't have a ton of experience with home recording, but from what I know, I would advise getting a used mackie instead of a yamaha. I'm not familiar with your interface, but if it has 2 preamps, then you can use the 6 others from the mackie board to get all 8 channels going simultaneously. Their preamps are supposed to be pretty good. The problem is that I think the direct outs are usually pre-everything accept the preamp. That means that any EQ you apply to the channel won't affect the signal going out to your computer. Don't know why they do thay... Also, I would look into a pair of studio monitors instead of headphones. It's hard to get a good mix out of headphones. Panning comes out a bit wierd, and headphones usually tamper the sound a little bit; I believe the boost the highs and lows (even high quality ones). Again, I don't have a lot of experience, but that's what I've read.

jklochan said:
The problem is that I think the direct outs are usually pre-everything accept the preamp. That means that any EQ you apply to the channel won't affect the signal going out to your computer.

You're thinking of inserts. You have channel inserts that are made for inserting effects into that channel alone. Inserts are all pre-fader and pre-eq. The only volume control you have is the gain. Direct outs are post fader, which means you can eq the track. Direct outs are common on recording, unless you're using a rack preamp setup.

Back