My first true mix (feedback please)

BillC15

Though I've messed with a few crappy mixes before, this is my first true mix in my home studio (if you can even call it that). I didn't even mix this on studio monitors because I don't own a pair. This song is by a great band called Soulshine who I play bass for live, though this song is acoustic. So let me know what it needs, what it could do without, and/or general feedback you may wish to share. I will give you this as a starting point, however: I felt like I had an issue with vocal compression. And by the way, its a .wma not an mp3, so I hope that doesn't matter, though I wish I could upload it in .wav for better sound quality. So let me know what you think.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/imltfwzj2ye/Marriage.wma

Sounds great overall. Good sense of space with the backing vocals. I heard clipping at 2:31.

There was a minor issue with the intelligibility of some of the lyrics. Could have been mic choice or overzealousness with a de-esser?

Yeah we were kinda short on time with the vocalist and the mic was a bit too gained up because I didn't expect her to belt it out like that. Even though they didn't really hear the clipping or care about it when I pointed it out, I'm so annoyed about it. I'll have to see if I can get her to fix that.

Also, I don't have the de-esser plugin. In fact, I even boosted some of the frequencies in around the 5k range for a bit more presence.

Thanks a lot for your input, it is greatly appreciated. I just wanted an opinion on one more thing though. Did you think there was too much of a dynamic range in the vocals (excluding the clipping)? Should I compress them more, and if so, what kind of settings should I start with? Thanks.

Not bad at all. The vox need a bit of eq work to me. Just a hair too much low mid in places, it masks the words a bit. She has a great voice! The guitars sound nice tad thin but it works nice with her vox. I would personally bring up the guitars a hair and compress the vocals some/more to bring some of the softer syllables.

Good Stuff man!

F.S.

P.S.

As a strictly production thing I would echo the first two lines at the end of the song and let the verb trail off from that, but that's me. I think it would give it more of an ending.

I really hate it when I click on a link for a song and I get a virus. :mad::mad::mad:

Attachments

• Pic_virus.jpg
    Pic_virus.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 41
Some issues in the "sss" range, but nothing so bad .Overall, nice vox , killer performance, congratulations!
Guitars could even be ok in a dense arrangement with bass and drums; sounds thin in the song - like only miked in the neck and no mic near the body/bridge.

Ciro

Hey thanks a lot you guys, I value your input greatly.

Freudian Slip: I noticed that the vox were a slightly boomy before you made your reply and I did eliminate some low mids. I also compressed them more, a lot more actually. She was a bit too dynamic during tracking. I think the delay idea at the end would be an awesome idea, and I'll talk that over with them as well.

CIRO: I almost agree with you on the guitar tone, and you're right, I miced it a bit above the 12th fret (closer to the body). But I kind of liked the nice highs I got out of that, so I kept it. And if I could do it all over again, I would double mic it like I'm doing for this song I'm recording for them now which is coming out amazing. Maybe I'll post that one too. But at the time of this recording, I only had one xlr (yep, that's just an idea of how ghetto the recording was).

In addition to all this I also spread out the electric guitar and the other acoustic track a bit more.

Btw, I can assure anyone else who wishes to download the song that it is not a virus, and for ido1957, the virus you have is not from my the download, but I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Back