my first studio ever looking for some advice

fivestarpacheco

hey guys,
this is my first studio before i went and bought a whole bunch of stuff i did some research. i have an at4040, presonus eaureka preamp, scarlett 6i6 and im using sonar x3 for a DAW. I made two gobos took me a while to make but there solid with 2inches thick of drywall inside and oc703 also the black bass traps you see are made of oc703 4 inches thick. im just looking for some advice/opinions on what i could do to make my studio better. also does my little homemade vocal booth suffice for recording?

My view? Dismantle the booth, make use of the extra space, and record vocals in the open.

It all depends on how the room sounds but I'd go somewhere in between.
A full on enclosed booth is probably too much but, in my space anyway, recording in the open is no good either.
I use two tall panels like your red ones, set up in the middle of the room, with the mic in the internal corner.
I've seen plenty of other people do the same thing but with the panels behind the singer, which makes sense.

Since you have those panels and it looks like you have space behind your desk, you may as well experiment with moving them around to get an idea of how room treatment will help you.

As the room sits right now, you'll probably find the right audio is much more focussed than the left because you have that booth on the right side.

If you were able to have smaller panels in strategic places and some mass in the corners, you might find there's no need for portable gobos or a 'booth'.

Last edited:
Back