My first song using a BOSS BR-800 (no DAW softwares)

TBOF

So this is it. My first attemp at making a song entirely with the BOSS BR-800 digital recorder. No DAW softwares were used in the recording and mixing process, and besides the use of a VOX Tonelab for the wah on the lead guitar, all the effects (COSM) are from the BR-800. I would really appreciate any comments. I'm new at recording and mixing my own arrangements, so any advice will be more than welcome.

Since I can't post links/attachments (I don't have 10 posts yet), you will have to click on my Soundclick.com/TheBestOfFools link in my signature to get to my Soundclick music homepage and listen to the song named "Pipeline".

Gear and equipement used for this recording and other notes :

Left rhythm guitar : Homemade Telecaster --> BR-800 guitar input with built in insert effect
Right rhythm guitar : Les Paul Custom --> BR-800 guitar input with built in insert effect
Lead guitar : Homemade VH Frankenstrat replica --> VOX TonelabLE (wah patch) --> BR-800 Inputs 1/2
Bass : Fender Road Worn 60's Jazz Bass --> Tech 21 VTBass (SVT setting) --> BR-800 guitar input with BOSS D-Comp style compressor setting
Drums : Arrangement made on the BR-800 (room kit / rock patterns).
Master FX Patch P17 Brighten (Mix Down)
Monitors : Yamaha MSP-5
Headphones : Sony MDR-7506

Thanks

Last edited:
Those standalone recorders look fun. I've never used one, but I'm guessing it limits what you can do in terms of mixing. The guitar in the beginning had a lot of distortion and was loud, almost overtaking the drums - but maybe you were going for that. I had to turn down the speakers. Once the lead guitar came in, it was too much distortion from both guitars and the melody got lost in it. Sounded like a nice lead setting for guitar, though. Also, the kick could probably go up a little. Have fun with the new recorder!

Thanks for your reply and great observations, hernandog2. I see what you mean. The lead gets lost in the mix, so I will lower both rhythm guitars. I will also lower the volume on the guitar in the intro, it was too loud indeed. I'm not sure how I can up the kick (you're talking about the kick drum, right?) since on the BR-800 you can only adjust the level of the overall drums (or "Ryhthm" level), not just one element like the kick drum or snare. The BR-800 comes with a software bundle that has a drum editor but I didn't get a chance to take a look at it yet. My goal with this song was to do as much as possible using the BR-800 only. I'll be getting EZDrummer in a few days so I'll have more flexibility when it comes to creating better sounding drum tracks.

The beauty of this little recorder is it's easy of use. You can lay down ideas and create songs in a flash. My best purchase gear wise in a long time ! I will update the song to my Soundclick account in a few minutes...

Last edited:
Uploaded remixed version of the song Pipeline to my Soundclick account. Thanks for your help !!

Sounds a lot better! Since the drums volume is fixed, I think your best bet would be to mix in reference to the drum volume (if you plan on doing an entire mix on this recorder). I heard new things in the drum track this time through (toms, cymbals) that I didn't notice before, so the volume drop in whatever instruments you chose worked well.

Sounds a lot better! Since the drums volume is fixed, I think your best bet would be to mix in reference to the drum volume (if you plan on doing an entire mix on this recorder). I heard new things in the drum track this time through (toms, cymbals) that I didn't notice before, so the volume drop in whatever instruments you chose worked well.

Thanks for your reply and your advice !!

Best regards,

doesnt sound too bad does it?

I have the BR micro for sketches and mucking about, my mate bought one of these though...brilliant little things

as for the mix...the kit sounds a bit too quiet and you mix like a guitarist, turn the lead down and bring the drums up ;)

theyre a little robotic but you cant humanise in these recorders can you? samples sound good though imo

right guitar is a bit scratchy, id add another layer or turn the gain down a fraction

great for a little recorder, you could get a demo together on this no problem

Good aggressive sound. Good playing. I liked the rhythm guitar sounds.

I thought the lead was a little thin and didn't have quite enough gain.

Bass is covering up the kick. I think the bass is a bit too loud and a little boomy. Maybe turn it down a couple of dbs and look for a notch cut somewhere around 80-120 hz.

The overall mix is kind of loud from beginning to end. OK a little break after 3 mins or so. But it gets a little tough on the ears.

I really like the vibe of the song and having recently upgraded from a Zoom H4n I can really relate to standalone recording. You've got a great thing going but if I were you I would track everything on the recorder but maybe polish them a little EQ-wise on a computer afterwards. I can really hear the excitement and enthusiasm in your playing, and IMO that is pretty much what seperates passionate performers from the apathetic.

on a complete hijack Im buying a zoom G3 next week....man these things are awesome for $199...cannae wait :D

Hey guys, thanks you so much for listening and for the feedback. It's all noted. Also, I forgot to mention. All this was done without a lava lamp in my studio. It's the next thing to buy on my list. :)

Later...

Back