My first sampler...advice?

jethani

Hi Gang.

Been in India for a month-- got married! Life is grand! Wish I could invite all of you to the reception; we'd definitely have the best in-house band! =-)

I'm looking to buy my first sampler, and I need your advice. I need great orchestral samples as well as a strong variety of world beat (tablas, kotos, etc.). I am doing some film work and new age type recordings.

In the past, I've been very impressed with the Roland 560, using the Roland orchestral library. Any thoughts on the Roland 760?

I've also heard great things about the Akai S2000, among which that it reads the Roland sample library, is quite easy to use, and opens up the vast array of Akai samples out there.

Whatever unit I buy, I will using within a Cubase-Mac environment.

I am a little concerned about the learning curve I've seen on some of the higher-end units. This is will be my first sampler, so a simple user interface would be nice. Of course having a large sample library is another good thing.

Cost is under $3000. (The lower, the better)

Any advice?

***update

My guru just recommended CreamWare's Pulsar. It looks like a kind of all-in-one package: soundcard, sampler, synth, etc. Reads AKAI sampler CDs & can use my existing Mac hardware like CD-ROM, Monitor, etc.

Any opinions?

Cheers,
Sagar

[This message has been edited by jethani (edited 08-25-1999).]

Hi
I've been using the Roland 760 since it first came out and the learning curve is steep...unless u get the video board which connects to a tv monitor..then it becomes awesome..I do losts of filmwork ( score and soundeffects) and the 760 has been one of my main sound sources.
Hoever, recently. the new software sampler ny Nemesys. GIgasampler is really something else...and it's cheaper altho u do need a pretty strong CPU to run it...

BTW, it also reads akai samples..

Good luck on your choice

Thanks for the advice, guys!

Based upon your comments, and my own research, I think I'm going to go with the Emu ESI-4000. Little learning curve. Phat sounds. Great library. Around $1000.

Thanks again.
jethani

Back