My first recording of another band.....

comatosed

So, last night, I had my first 'gig' recording a live cover band. I used a Tascam DP 32. Fitting the band into the 8 channels was a challenge, but it went something like this.....

Vocals - feed from the PA desk. There are 3 people in the band that do vocals, but I couldn't tie up 3 inputs to just vocals. So I fed straight from there PA feed.
Bass - DI'd straight out of the amp.
Keyboard - Straight from the desk again.
Sax - not actually used in this little snipet, but another feed off of the desk.
Guitar - SM57 dangled in front of the cab.
My last remaining 3 inputs were for the drums, two SE electronics overheads and a t.bone bd300 on the kick.

This is just a snippet of the sound check (I recorded everything), just looking for a little general feedback.

https://soundcloud.com/user-41128982/sound-check4

Cheers guys.

I think you should A/B this with the original recording to get closer. It's missing low mids/low energy, the guitar is pretty loud in the beginning and for the solo, and while the mix is missing low mids, it's still cloudy.

I wish I could be more specific - the mix just hits me as a bit harsh...the drums are loud, but thin.

Great vocal take. The studio version of this song is incredible for its dryness. But it's not abrasive like your recording. The elements are there - massage them, lol.

Thanks for the feedback. I had noticed the lack of low energy, I have since adjusted it. The band are after a sound that is close to their live sound (demo purposes etc) which is what I've tried to do. I'm not finished with it yet, I know that, just needed some direction.

But I do have to say, for my first solo recording project, I'm quite happy with it.

Back