My first new original for almost two decades, lol.

I'm thinking of adding flute as well as female vocals tomorrow.

You could talk me out of it. :D

You could talk me out of it. :D

I won't do that!

The spoken vocals are cool - it's kind of going in a Public Service Broadcasting direction at the moment maybe.

I reckon you could bring em down a couple of notches though. They sit on top of the mix & I always think spoken word samples work better sitting in it, otherwise they dominate too much and lessen the impact of the music.

I love the spoken science-nerd vocals. Weird--my favorite compliment. That's cool that you tried your own thing and it turned out this well. My only comment on the mix, is that in the beginning I thought the drums sounded too much like they were in a different physical place than the rest of the song. I'm listening on headphones.

I won't do that!

The spoken vocals are cool - it's kind of going in a Public Service Broadcasting direction at the moment maybe.

I reckon you could bring em down a couple of notches though. They sit on top of the mix & I always think spoken word samples work better sitting in it, otherwise they dominate too much and lessen the impact of the music.
Thanks, Rob. I'm happy you mentioned PSB - they're definitely an influence without trying to directly rip them off. A fellow member has contributed a spoken narrative today and I'm very, very pleased with it. I'm still going to pitch-shift it down a little because I like the synthetic sound, but I can have it much lower in the mix now and it is still intelligible. I have to work on the choral part and flute solo next.

I love the spoken science-nerd vocals. Weird--my favorite compliment. That's cool that you tried your own thing and it turned out this well. My only comment on the mix, is that in the beginning I thought the drums sounded too much like they were in a different physical place than the rest of the song. I'm listening on headphones.

I probably need to automate the reverb sends for the intro. I need a decent reverb level on the kit so it's audible when the rest of the instruments come in, but as those instruments are a fair bit drier I need to dial back the intro reverb. Watch this space, and thanks for the comment. Weird is great, to me!

I haven't read any previous comments - to avoid any preconceived notions lol....
I listened to the "Vocal version" . Very "Floydish" in a very good way. Nice flow and ebb...
Drums and bass have quite the complexity going on - cool. Mix wise - the drums seemed a tiny bit loud as compared to the rest.
The vocals are good where they are - I was imagining being in a live setting like a planetarium with the commentary.
I hope you keep writing originals - you're very good at it....:D

I haven't read any previous comments - to avoid any preconceived notions lol....
I listened to the "Vocal version" . Very "Floydish" in a very good way. Nice flow and ebb...
Drums and bass have quite the complexity going on - cool. Mix wise - the drums seemed a tiny bit loud as compared to the rest.
The vocals are good where they are - I was imagining being in a live setting like a planetarium with the commentary.
I hope you keep writing originals - you're very good at it....:D

Thanks very much, Ido - especially the compliment at the end. I fully intend to continue writing originals since this one appears to have turned out so well and been well-received. If you had read the previous comments, you'd have seen that DM60 wanted more drums! ;) I do think the kit could come down one click or so, perhaps leaving the snare where it is. :)

I hadn't been back to hear the vocal version until now. I agree with the Floydish comparison. I guess I'd have to say I'm puzzled and a little disappointed by the voice over. Having heard the original backing tracks, I was curious to see where you might take it in terms of a vocal melody and lyrics. The drums sound good, nice use of reverb. Guitars are all sounding good as well. Is that you on keys?

I hadn't been back to hear the vocal version until now. I agree with the Floydish comparison. I guess I'd have to say I'm puzzled and a little disappointed by the voice over. Having heard the original backing tracks, I was curious to see where you might take it in terms of a vocal melody and lyrics. The drums sound good, nice use of reverb. Guitars are all sounding good as well. Is that you on keys?

Sorry I disappointed you dude, but I don't generally "do" conventional. I do quirky. :D

I'm really happy with this - I feel I've found a way of indulging my inner nerd without it being completely lame. There are still some more conventional singing parts to add, so don't give up on it just yet. Also, I have a real vocal intoning the lyrics on the current version :) As Robgreen astutely guessed earlier, I wanted to take this in a Public Service Broadcasting direction (it's a band - check them out if you haven't heard them - Spitfire, Go! and Everest are good songs to start with). I didn't do the keys, a friend of mine contributed piano, strings and vox pad.

I haven't read what others have said on this thread yet.
Cool song with deep lyrics....
several miles deep. lol
Pardon the pun I couldn't help myself. I love the spoken lyrics over this music. It's really cool! the mix is great IMO. I really like the verb on the drums. You are getting fantastic drum sounds on your recordings now. ..congrats. I know first hand how difficult that is to do. I don't hear anything that I would change.

good job Bubba Po.

I haven't read what others have said on this thread yet.
Cool song with deep lyrics....
several miles deep. lol
Pardon the pun I couldn't help myself. I love the spoken lyrics over this music. It's really cool! the mix is great IMO. I really like the verb on the drums. You are getting fantastic drum sounds on your recordings now. ..congrats. I know first hand how difficult that is to do. I don't hear anything that I would change.

good job Bubba Po.

Thanks, Jimi. You always give me really great comments. I hope to finish the song this weekend. :)

I'm digging this. I like spoken word stuff because it always reminds of that song about Sunscreen, which I love.

Mix sounds good, instruments sound really good.

The only thing I'd think about is cutting the low mids on the drums. I find cutting 400hz is almost never a bad idea. I wouldn't call it an "automatic" thing, because I don't think you should ever do anything automatically, but cutting at 400hz is pretty close. It's one of those "when in doubt" type of things. Try it and see. I just find them a little boxy. I have a feeling that cutting there will just make them seem to sparkle more.

Other than that, the drop in drum volume when the guitar comes in is a little too noticeable.

I like it. :cool:

I'm digging this. I like spoken word stuff because it always reminds of that song about Sunscreen, which I love.

Mix sounds good, instruments sound really good.

The only thing I'd think about is cutting the low mids on the drums. I find cutting 400hz is almost never a bad idea. I wouldn't call it an "automatic" thing, because I don't think you should ever do anything automatically, but cutting at 400hz is pretty close. It's one of those "when in doubt" type of things. Try it and see. I just find them a little boxy. I have a feeling that cutting there will just make them seem to sparkle more.

Other than that, the drop in drum volume when the guitar comes in is a little too noticeable.

I like it. :cool:
Thanks, RAMI. :) I've tried your advice on the toms. Up till now I had no eq whatsoever on either the toms or the O/H's. I've been subtle with it. I'm still tracking so I won't post an update yet, but I also attended to the effect of pushing back on the drumkit. I stuck the whole kit into a group and I've automated the volume.

There was something I didn't expect, though - when I pulled the volume of the kit down, the reverb sends stayed as they were. Now, I checked the send type and they were all post-fader, so how come the sends don't go quieter along with the kit? I had to automate the reverb channel too.

Everything constructive has already been said, so I'll just chime in with :) :D and :thumbs up:

Thanks for the listen and comment, man. :)

There was something I didn't expect, though - when I pulled the volume of the kit down, the reverb sends stayed as they were. Now, I checked the send type and they were all post-fader, so how come the sends don't go quieter along with the kit?
That is weird. Post-fader, they should follow the fader's movements.

Perhaps the master fader of the group doesn't affect the individual sends. That's all I can think of.
Oh, yes. In that case, I think you're right. I remember having some issue with that, but I don't remember exactly what. You probably have to leave the bus where it is, but turn down the individual instruments inside that bus. Don't quote me on that, but I'm pretty sure it's something like that.

Oh, yes. In that case, I think you're right. I remember having some issue with that, but I don't remember exactly what. You probably have to leave the bus where it is, but turn down the individual instruments inside that bus. Don't quote me on that, but I'm pretty sure it's something like that.

Right. As there was very little else on the intro, I just automated the reverb buss volume down a tad then returned it to normal when the rest of the song comes in.

Hey Bubba,

How cool is it to do music with your kids? My daughters sing sometimes with me and it is really a great bonding session.

Yeah get some words to this and get to writing....I know it's a work in progress, but I look at these type of victories as stepping stones to greater creativity and works....

Whether it develops all the way is totally irrelevant, as it got you in a different mindset....Cool stuff

I thought it was really nice sounding, but the spoken word killed it for me. No offense, just personal preference. It just felt like it needed something to really bring me into the song, but instead it was some dude talking like I was watching the discovery channel. Is it a sound track to an ocean documentary or is it supposed to be a song? Now that you know what I don't like about it, I'll tell you it really is good stuff. Maybe do another version with some singing instead of spoken word just for the hell of it :thumbs up:

Back