My first mixdown (just bought a tascam 488) Help!

spooks-need-pa

Hey,
This thing isnt as hard to use as i thought it would be so that is good. I want to mix down now though and i dont have a tape deck because i am planning on using my computer and my soundcards line in.

I have an sb live value.. it will suffice.

Anyway, the 488 has L and R output jacks... how do i get these to the ONE line in on my soundcard?

and what program am i going to want to use?

thanks guys

Get yourself a Y-splitter.
Download a working demo like maybe PT free to give the software side a whirl. In fact, try several to find one you like b-4 you buy.

in my excitment i forgot to thank you guys..

so thanks

ill being gettign a converter today probably.

I actualy think i need something different though.

it has a L 1/4 and a R 1/4 (or im not sure im at my friends house but they are a/8)

so i need those to become one dual 1/8

thats possible right?

You need (and it is not a converter) a 1/8 inch stereo to dual 1/4 inch adapter plug. Just tell the guys at Radio Shack that exactly and you should get what you need...after they ask you a hundred different ways which calling plan you have.

The best newbie advice I can give you is to spend a good amount of time on this BBS at the newbie section..learn.

I know i am posting something in an older thread... but this was the first time I seen this thread doing a search for mixing and tascam 488 ... so i had to post a quick comment that will probly be of use to some other people with mixing down to computer instead of a tape deck.

I have AWE 64 sound cards, in both my main computer and also my music computer! I used to mix down that way using a Y cord in to my LINE IN.. on my sound card.. and it was the most hardest thing to control. HISS, NOISE, OVERALL LEVELS.. .. etc etc you name it.. it was problems after problems. No matter what I did, I couldnt get a halfway descent sounding audio track.

So after couple years in dispair, and resorting to mixing to tapedecks, (which i also didnt like cause I hate using tapes). I found a NICE device , EDIROL UA-3 Audio Capture. It allows me to hook my Tacam's line out, to my computers USB port.. and do the final mix that way direct to HD. My EIDROL UA-3 came with a version of GUITAR TRAX 2.0 too, which I triied though very slow on my computer.

But the UA3 works great just recording a final mix wav file from the Tascam using Soundforge! There is no hiss unless it is direct from the Tascam itself. The audio is super clear and the levels are easier to control! I would be lost without it now!

I dont know if the UA-3 is still available but I am sure EBAY has them floating around sometimes. There is more expensive versions out there, but for going from the Tascam to the computers USB port, this was all I need a SIMPLE capture device!

Cheerz
Dog

Back