My first metalcore mix

gumplunger

My band's working on a demo and it's the first project I've spent a lot of time on. Usually I'm just working on the basics of everything, trying to soak up as much knowledge and experience as I can. Anyway, without further adeau...

Henceforth - Villain In The Bloodvein

Everything was tracked in my bedroom into a Digi002 and mixed in Pro Tools LE (damn track limit).

Last edited:
gumplunger said:
My band's working on a demo and it's the first project I've spent a lot of time on. Usually I'm just working on the basics of everything, trying to soak up as much knowledge and experience as I can. Anyway, without further adeau...

Henceforth - Villain In The Bloodvein

Everything was tracked in my bedroom into a Digi002 and mixed in Pro Tools LE (damn track limit).

Wow. I'm impressed. I didn't like the screamy vocal but the other one was freaking great! Nice tone to the voice. My only suggestions would be that the twin guitar parts sound like they are panned the same as the rhythm guitars. If that's the case, you might want to pan them a little less to keep them in the mix but not on top of the rhythm guitars.

And I think I heard an acoustic guitar in there? You may want to bring that up in the mix just a tad.

But other than that, I really like the song, the mix and the performance. Good job!

The acoustic guitar you heard was just some ambient clean guitar with some reverb. The lead guitar harmony part was panned hard left and hard right with the main rhythm guitars at about 75 left and right. I'll try putting the lead guitars more towards the middle and see if it brings them out more.

Thanks for the comments.

Kick and snare need more definition.
Bass needs more definition too.
at one point - 1:40 in i believe, during the breakdown, the lead guitar track could stand to be louder just a bit. Considering what pres (digi002's im assuming) you used this really dosent sound too bad.

-Finster

yea, the bass is a little poured on, but hell, i'm a sucker for bass.

i don't really like the top end of the vox (sonically) but that probably has more to do with your mics than your ability.

my biggest problem would be the kit, it's just to sinthey sounding for me
it's all in the mids maby to much.

put your "tap" up higher, conventional wisdom says in the 4K or so range

i'd say turn up your overs, but the "mix" of cimbals is eratic enough that i can see whare it could be a problem.

kick some highs in the snare

i like your git sounds

just a little sibelent (spelling)

hope this helps

oh, and i'd re record the clean part as an acu and then turn it up. i think it's a neat little part.

Thanks for the feedback. I was struggling with that drum definition you guys are talking about. I'll have to work on that. The reason for all the bass was I have pretty crappy monitors, KRK Rokit 5's, and I really can't tell how much bass I need/have until I listen to it on a variety of sources, and at first all the mixes sounded way too trebley, so I turned up the bass and the kick. I tried adding some bottom to the guitars but it just made em muddy. I did try to emphasize that whole "wall of guitars" sound because it was my first time working with a Mesa Rectifier so I went with my strengths.

The vocals do sound a bit harsh on the top end, but I haven't done enough de-essing or vocal eq to know how to fix that without taking the punch out of the vocal tracks. I'll work on it.

Back