My first "live" recording

flapo1

I recorded this at my church here in Mexico, with my Delta 1010lt soundcard, with the following mics:

SP C1 - R overhead
MXL 603s - L overhead
Shure "package" mic - Bass drum
SM 57 - Guitar cab
Direct box - Bass
Direct box - Keyboards
AKG handheld condenser (don't know model) - Main vox
SM 58 - Background vox

into my PIII 700 mhz and then mixed with ntrack

Please be so kind to tell me your opinion, specially mix-wise.

Here's the link

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/?aid=1251/

then discography then singles then pick "Dios poderoso"

or

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1251&alid=-1

Thanks everyone

sounds good for a live recording! the vocals have some sibilance in spots.. is the reverb on the drums natural? sounds good if it is.. if it's not, I would take some off.. cool..

Hi there Sammy!

No, actually it's a free reverb plugin called "freeverb" (what an original name, ain't it?) and yes I will take some off. In fact, I plan to remix the whole thing, after some listens, I came too hear that the lows are a bit muddy, and both the bass and the bass drum lack definition, so I will work in those issues as well as sibilance

Thanks for your time, pal!

Hey Flapo!

Sounds great for a live recording.
Nice guitar playing,is that you?
Is it an original song?

Mix sounds pretty good.
You guys must have a blast at church!:D

Pete

Sounds very good for a live mix, like standing in a big room listening to a real band. Maybe a bit much room sound, but its good. :) What does Alabanez mean in Englis?

Big rooms are great for recording except for the cymbals, eh? ;) The mismatched overs probably makes it even tougher.

Sounds good dude! Just needs a little presence on the drums, and some work on the stereo placement.:)

muze:
Thanks a lot, bro!. Yup, It's me and it's a song we made. We do have a lot of fun playing in church, thanks God it's a very open one to contemporary music.

Toki:
Nice comments, pal. That's what I tried to achieve, in contrast to a lot of live records that sound too much "in your face". I can't lower the ambience 'cause we were playing in a small place and I used condensers as overheads for the drums as well as a condenser for main vox, so there's a lot of bleeding. :) The word is "Alabanza" and it means "Praise"

M. Brane:
Yeah, man. I have to check out those overheads, I think my monitors are wired the wrong way to the Power Amp or something, and I think I'm mixing them reversed! :o How do you think I can get presence in drums? I'm already working in a more defined bass drum sound. Thanks for your advice!

Thanks a lot everyone for hearing

Sounds real nice. The guitar solo needed to come up a bit. I'm getting a lot of bottom end that make the vocals seem a little weak. I'd like to hear those harmonies a little bit more up front.

Nice job and nice song too.

Joe

Rusty: Then I'll have to charge you some money for it... or some gear (optional) ;) :D :D :D :D

Bad joke... I'm really glad you liked it. Actually we recorded the whole praise service, but I ended posting just that because that's the only "original" song

Hey Joe! ... where have I heard that?... ;)

I couldn't answer in my last response 'cause your reply caught me writing to rusty.

There's still a lot of things to do to that recording, actually. Already got rid of the boomy low end, and bass drum and bass guitar are already tighter and have better definition.

I haven't done any automation yet, but that solo is one of the parts I need to pump up.

Thanks a lot for your time and ears, guys! They're very very important to me since I mix in some Pioneer home stereo speakers.

Back