my first live adventure....

e unum pluribus

does any one have experience with this technique of one mic on stage? if so what kind of mic would be needed... i.e. pattern... condenser of course... what else? should i get... and would it work with a small drum kit...

unfortunately i cant find that much about it ... a link to another forum on live production would be awsome

thanks

Hi eup,

Single mic technique...I have only done some casual stuff myself, but if you are after single-point stereo miking, part of the issue is that there are very few of such mics around and you quickly go from the few (relatively cheap) to the few (insanely expensive.)

Audio-Technica makes two variants of this, same model, but one has XLRs for more pro use:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002GFMTQ/002-6190214-8348856?v=glance&n=11091801

At the other end is the Neumann SM 69 which will take care of your rent and car payments for quite a while, but which is an absolutely superb location mic, basically 2 U-87 capsules on top of each other, with 5 patterns each....but we are talking mad money here.

Something to consider: the room will play a major factor and so will both the physical positioning of the band members and, equally, their ability to 'balance' themselves naturally while playing, the drummer being the key one. You don't say if this is for 'live' purposes or not?

Go here and ask further:
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=21

Some really great, friendly pros here who are always ready to help. I hope this is of use.
Good luck with it.

Best,
CC.

thanks guys

awsome exactly what i was wanting to now cosmic...

and yeah i was talking about the whole band... i just couldnt seem to find anything on working a single mic with a drumkit involved in the band just stuff on like blue grass or something. i wouldnt mind using 2 mics maybe one for vocals so the vocals kinda stick out and one fror the rest of the instruments... seems to me as long as the drummer only used the brushes it might be possible kinda like in jazz... which from what i understand is how they used to record it and maybe thats where that drum sound originated from... (just a quick guess)...

Hi again,

Glad to be of help. If you don't know these terms, to broaden your ideas about single/multiple narrow stereo recording, google these terms: 'Decca tree' and 'Blumlein method'. You will learn good things and it may just influence your buying/recording decisions....

Carry on and good luck,
C.

oh crap dude... i cant go to gearslutz cause it s websensed on this network(im in iraq still)

you guys know of anyother forums for live performance/production advise?

e unum pluribus said:
oh crap dude... i cant go to gearslutz cause it s websensed on this network(im in iraq still)

you guys know of anyother forums for live performance/production advise?

prosoundweb has tons of live guys on their SR forums. Looking around the LAB and lounge should give you some info, or you can register. They want you to use a name, not a handle. Kind of a pain, but if you want to ask questions, you gotta do it. I bet lots of people use fake names, but at least try to make it seem real. :).

The guys in the lounge will probably be more helpful, the LAB is for pros and many seem to have a kind of "been there, mic'ed that" kind of attitude. Half the replies you get will be about the hassles. Which is fine, as long as you can wade through that to get to the often very good info many posters have. Kind of like here. :)

I've got some experience with this technique. I'm a bit pressed right now, but will post something soon. Hit prosoundweb, there is lots of good live sound stuff there.

I have recorded live performances of vocal and instrumental ensembles with a pair of condensers in an ORTF pair. It works well, is easy to set up, and is easy to conceptualize. Just ask yourself "where would be the perfect place to put my head if I wanted to listen to this"? Then put the mic there. I tend to use MXL 2003's for the task but a good pair of SDC mics would do the job well too.

couple more things...

what about a feedback elimanator any one ever used this with a mic onstage?
also would a ribbon mic or one of the orchestra mics that are long and flat be better you think?

e unum pluribus said:
what about a feedback elimanator any one ever used this with a mic onstage?
also would a ribbon mic or one of the orchestra mics that are long and flat be better you think?

I haven't used a ribbon for this, but for sure I've used a feedback buster. The dbx and Behringer units are both really good. I also have an eq that lets me program in notches, but the feedback units with a few roaming filters are great for catching those random peaks, which can come up in single-mic situations where everyone's position in relation to the mic can change constantly, and therefore the feedback characteristics of the situation change constantly too. Like many other things, it is usually more helpful when dealing with less-practiced performers and speakers, all other things being equal. They can help in any situation, though, including those where the band is too stubborn to realize that single mic is not the best choice for a particular gig, or that they suck at it ;) . They can also be helpful while you learn the basics of good microphone placement and system setup. Those basics should always come first.

Back