My First Large Diaphragm

Burden of Proof

I was looking through another thread mentioning using a large diaphragm mic for vocals, and wanted to pick one up to try. As a starter, I was considering the Studio Projects B1. The same thread someone mentioned a Behringer B1, which looks to be a similar mic (although it's probably not) and sells for an identical price on zzounds.

Question: what's the difference? I hear the name Studio Projects mentioned with some degree of praise, and hear the Behringer name mentioned with a similar degree of contempt (granted, never heard about Behringer mics, just other 'low end' gear, i.e. mixers, pres, a/d, etc). Is there a significant difference between these two microphones in terms of intended use or performance, and if so why do they sell for the same price?

Also, are there any other large diaphragms in the $150-or-less range that absolutely kick ass all over the competition? I know this is kind of subjective, and probably would be best to find someplace to give several a listen and buy based on my ear's response, but figured I'd give the question a run through this extremely knowledgeable section of homerec first (especially since outside a pro studio, no music store in my area carries more than 2-3 brands of mics anyway).

thanx

Indeed

a little happy with the 'post new thread' button I am

looking like the SP is the one I'll want (shows up in the FAQ for the 'under $100' category)... but really, what's the difference? This now comes to an opinion question about mic quality / best usage on these two in particular...

or just ignore the thread and I'll figure it out myself

Burden of Proof said:
a little happy with the 'post new thread' button I am

looking like the SP is the one I'll want (shows up in the FAQ for the 'under $100' category)... but really, what's the difference? This now comes to an opinion question about mic quality / best usage on these two in particular...

or just ignore the thread and I'll figure it out myself

The difference is in quality, the studio projects mics are built to a low price but the quality is good, the support is excellent too. I have got a B1 and was pleasantly surprised, nice quality shock mount too. The only behringer thing I have had that was of decent quality was a DI box.

paddyponchero said:
The difference is in quality, the studio projects mics are built to a low price but the quality is good, the support is excellent too. I have got a B1 and was pleasantly surprised, nice quality shock mount too. The only behringer thing I have had that was of decent quality was a DI box.

I can't speak for either B1's but if I had to chose blindly I would go with the SP, just on support. Behringer's sucks ass, it's usually use it until it breaks (or is broken when you buy) and throw it away.
Besides Allan Hyatt, the president of the company hangs out on this board! So you can tell him directly how much you like or dislike his mic :D

Another mic to try is the Oktava mk319, it's shockingly good for the price. Try before you buy though, they used to have some QC problems. I got one for like 80 bucks and use it often.

Oh and check out the Studio Projects thread a couple posts down. There's a guy with a Behri B1 asking advice about getting a SP, sound's like that might be relevant to your situation.

I just a bought a MXL V67G and so far I like what I hear. Harvey Gerst likes this one and to be frank, that was what inspired me to buy it. I got it for $99 with a shock mount and mic cable. I ordered mine through Holywood Pro Audio which is in CA so I didn't pay any state sales tax.

I will be spending this weekend exploring the sounds of this mic and my new M-Audio DMP3 mic pre. :D

JohnnyMan said:
Harvey Gerst likes this one and to be frank, that was what inspired me to buy it.
I thought it was the v69m that Harvey liked (the tube mic). Doesn't matter, though. I've heard lots of good things about the v67, and combined with the DMP3, I think you'll be happy.

I've heard great things about ADK mics, service and support, so much that I chose this as my first condenser (A-Twin package w/ SC-1, shockmount, 2 9m xlr for $180) for .

The SP B1 was a very close second.

MadAudio said:
I thought it was the v69m that Harvey liked (the tube mic). Doesn't matter, though. I've heard lots of good things about the v67, and combined with the DMP3, I think you'll be happy.

After reading your post I began to second guess myself so I went back and checked. I have condensed Harvey's big thread into a 79-page document that I posted in two parts here:
http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?p=1234059#post1234059 (look at the next to last posts). I divided the thread into chapters. The sixth chapter is called Harvey’s Favorite Mics. In there (page 21/79) he says,

“The SM-7 stays on a stand in the studio 24 hours a day, wired up and ready to go. It's one of 5 mics that are ready to be used at all times (the other 4 are the Audix TR-40 omni, the Neumann TLM-103, the Marshall MXL-V67G, and a Shure SM-57).”

Another vote for gthe v67(g) in that price range... Although I have a CAD GXL2200 that's been getting some use lately... It's a little more "up front"...

Back