my first hard-whare comp...

giraffe

i love negative rep
wow, i've been doing this a while but i'm all poor-a-fied so i just mix in the box.

have a waves bundle, and some massey plugs along with the digi crap.
good stuff, i recommend.

any way... i recently bought a rnp.
wow, it's really better.
i was thinking, maybe i'd notice a difference. kinda like, "oh, i think that's nice, neat"

but it was a much bigger deal then i thought.

seemed to be easier to dial in, i could tell the difference in the settings better, and i seem to be able to get more compression with less undesireable artifacts then itb.

maybe it's just new car smell and all.....
but still, a real surprise.

but it was a much bigger deal then i thought.

seemed to be easier to dial in, i could tell the difference in the settings better, and i seem to be able to get more compression with less undesireable artifacts then itb.

Ah yes, another convert!

Amazing the difference, isn't it? What always gets me is the ease of dialing in the right sounds. It's just so much quicker and more satisfying on hardware. Seems like I tweak plugins forever and am still never quite happy. But with hardware the whole thing just flows better.

One of the things I like about the Massey plugins is that the work process is very similar to hardware. Just dial in the sounds and go, not so much tweaking. They are really the best plugins I've used in that regard.

Two reason I don't like plugs anymore besides the artifacts I hear in mine.

My computer is opposite my console. Since the console is the size of a picnic table it doesn't help to place the computer to either side of it. All my racks are under the console. So while I am mixing I can just reach down and grab the right knob. Otherwise I have to spin around in my chair to operate the computer etc. etc. then spin around again only to have to figure out all over again which channels, sends, EQs I was working on. After awhile all the spinning makes me dizzy.

Then there is the tweak factor. It happens to me alot. I spin around to change one thing in a plugin and before I know it I have been clicking at it for 10 mins. By the time I spin back to the console I'm lost and the moment has slipped by.

its the limitations of hardware comps that make them so quick to tweak

that and the fact that if they suck too much theyre taken off the market pretty quick (except the 3630)

... i recently bought a rnp.
wow, it's really better.

I think you mean a RNC, the RNP is the preamp.
But you are right in liking them, I have 2, very transparent for vocals and stuff that is not mainly low frequency intensive.

oops, yea sorry...
rnc.

and yea, i've heard (but not tried for my self) that the rnc is not the best on low freq sources.

i've got an RNC, it's not a bad compressor. smooth and transparent when you want it to be. it gets some use but really not much anymore--i've got other comps i like better....and i've never gotten along with the SuperNice mode.

and yeah, it's not at all great on bass frequencies.

i prolly oughta sell it, it hasn't been turned on in 6 months.

cheers,
wade

just to throw it in there, waves and other company makes plugin that emulate hardware console (like the SSL, API, and V series from wave)... i've never tried them, but they look real good. Waves is like the #1 plugin maker (i think because they sell them for so much, and they have the biggest line of plugin i've ever see from 1 company).... and I check out their websites, they have videos and stuff from the pros supporting their product :)

just to throw it in there, waves and other company makes plugin that emulate hardware console (like the SSL, API, and V series from wave)... i've never tried them, but they look real good. Waves is like the #1 plugin maker (i think because they sell them for so much, and they have the biggest line of plugin i've ever see from 1 company).... and I check out their websites, they have videos and stuff from the pros supporting their product :)

this is one of those posts where five years down the road you look back on your life and say " WTF???"

Back