my first beat

ikon

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6650617

called wicked playground.....i was mainly wanting to get things sounding like it wasnt all digital drums or something...no pre loops...all programed by myself...mixed in adobe 3.0....help critique what i need to do to become better....musically and mixing wise...thanx in advance

It could work with the right artist, but it sounds like it's lacking something, both in the melodies and the drums. It sounds distant instead of right up in your face.

Not a bad thing though because it could give the artist more room to make or break himself.

I would add another melody in there to spice things up just a little but not too much, or do some layering to add some depth (or both).

Fiev

This is actually not bad for your first beat. Before i get into the beat I will tell you a crucial piece of information for your production skills. If you want to go the composition route then you must know that your beats will only be as good as your sounds are so i suggest taking some time to really build up a nice quality sound library cuz those sounds u are using are garbage. Now onto the beat. The synthy melody is good structural wise but the sound itself is junk (hence the need for a sound library) the percussion portion of the beat changes a lot and i like wut u did with the rimshots it's a funky beat and then the main verse goes dark, i don't like when a beat changes moods like that but some people do. i like to stick to one feeling on a beat and keep it that way. have change ups yes but keep the mood/feeling of the beat the same. The verse was good a lil distant like fiev said but i wasn't feeling the bells/chimes a hard hitting bassline would be better imo. blending the verse melody and hook melody together did not sound good either so i would change that.

All in all i think the beat has a lot of potential and being your first one i think you did a good job. Stick around here my friend and you will learn a lot from this place, just remember tho as soon as you stop takin help and start arguing back like your the man and shit we ain't gonna help u no more

LOL I know where my first beat was at.....WHEW!!!!!!!!! I still smell its funk (as in shit).

I say take it one step at a time...no need to hurry when you gettin your feet wet...rushed shit sounds like diarrhea.

thanx...this is exact kind of feed i want....tnanx for the feed...will take into consideration

i really think its more about the "sound files" . . . if the instruments sounded better - it might work - so far, it just sounds like . .. something you might hear at a circus - NOT TRYING TO BE OVERLY CRITICAL - it just doesnt sound like its got "that" hip hop feel to it - but my ENTIRE comment is indeed based on teh "sound" of the instruments - not the pattern, the structure, not the spirit -

another way to view it is: were all the notes transcribed onto paper (sheet music) and someone played that song on . . . triton keyboar or some equipment you would find inside the RZA's lab - i think the song could probably be hot!! - its the sound of the sounds - thats important!

im still new to the production aspect honestly....so i just have fruity loops wich i was told i should get reason....but fruity loops i got as a promo deal when i bought some stuff at a local music shop, so it is wha ti have to use.......the sounds where all hand keyed in without the use of downloading kits.....mixed in adobe audtion ....sorry if that dont help...also i was looking at the m-audio midi controler at best buy, would that be a good buy for a starter?

actually I thought it had a horrorcore feel to it which is why I said with the right artist it could work.

Let the man work with what he's got for now...in due time he'll learn a LOT from being here, but for now let his mind wander and see what else he can come up with....ya'll know none of us made hits first time on the keys.

i feeel u fieve but i also remember how frustrated i was when peple told me its the "quality" of the sounds - that alone took me quite some time to overcome, as I did not have access to better sounds - but with what is so readily accessible now . . . its def. worth investigating

If your going to make software based music you deff. need a controller keyboard. I use fruity loops for all my beats so peep mine and you can see the difference that sounds actually make, i like the way the program is set up. i also have reason which i integrate into fruity loops so i use them both at the same time meaning reasons only purpose for me is a gigantic sound module. ooo one thing to make sure u do since ur in the early stages u can start practicing now. when u choose a sound u want to use in abeat load it up and alter it via effects time stretching manipulation etc. never use the stock sound itself

If your going to make software based music you deff. need a controller keyboard. I use fruity loops for all my beats so peep mine and you can see the difference that sounds actually make, i like the way the program is set up. i also have reason which i integrate into fruity loops so i use them both at the same time meaning reasons only purpose for me is a gigantic sound module. ooo one thing to make sure u do since ur in the early stages u can start practicing now. when u choose a sound u want to use in abeat load it up and alter it via effects time stretching manipulation etc. never use the stock sound itself

thanx for the tip.....and thanx for the feed from everyone else too!

Youre gonna be a BEAST when these people get done with you Ikon
Trust.
Your beat is kinda hot now, its just the instruments imo..the instruments you
used sounded like Super Mario..search the net for free instruments for now and then sooner or later start purchasing your kits online or something. But as far as talent you got it.

Back