my first attempt at mastering ... a strange mythic prairie groove

toymaker

i'm looking for some feedback on this track - my first attempt at mastering my own material. i'd love some feedback and, as always, i'm happy to trade listening sessions, giving some feedback on one of your mixes in exchange.

thanks everyone - i love this forum.

oh - and if it says "this track is currently not available" just click the link - it is definitely available.

Nice track! I actually enjoyed it but did have just a few thoughts. First, it sounded like there was some really low frequency that was a bit too strong. I couldnt tell if it was coming from the guitar, or the voice, or the bass, but it was bothering my ears a bit. I think a slight low end roll-off on the master might take care of it because I think it 60hz and below. Also, this is just my taste, but i felt like the clap sound wasnt sitting right. To me they had too much space and sounded disconnected. I would probably put a little less reverb (or maybe a different kind of reverb) on them to bring them up front a little more. Other than that though, really sweet.

thanks singer202 - that is so helpful. really, thank you.
by the end of the day i will post an updated version that reflects your suggestions.

awesome, very helpful feedback.

An interesting song. Cool instrumentation. Interesting parts.

I thought the vocal was just a bit too loud. It was dominating the instruments. There is just a bit of midrange harshness to it. Maybe notch out in the 2,700hz range?

The mix gets a little crowded when all the instruments kick in. But not real back.

I thought the use of reverb was good. More than I would use myself, but for this type of song I thought it fit very well.

I think I heard a couple of little pops at 3:35 and 3:36.

thanks TripleM - also extremely helpful/useful for me.

here's the new mix/master:

i made the following changes:
-rolled off the bass (everything below 60hz)
-lowered main voice by 2.5db and cut a bit of the top end
-panned claps closer to center/reduced reverb
-fixed pops at 3:35/3:36
-less reverb overall (i like this better - more focused/tighter sound)

thanks again - this is so helpful !

I think all the changes were an improvement. This is a better mix.

I'm getting more picky. But there just seems to be a "general scratchiness" to the mix. It's like everything has a hyped high end. Like everything over 5K got a 6db boost.

I agree with TripleM about the hyped highs. Did you use an exciter on the master? It might be over done if you did. Claps sound much better. Diggin it.

-less reverb overall (i like this better - more focused/tighter sound)
!

I actually kind of miss it. It sounds less mystical now.

thanks again TripleM. i welcome your pickiness. i am learning here.

there was a bit of a boost in the 2.5khz area on the main voice and whole mix. i've lessened that in both respects, plus made the mid-range cut on the voice you suggested earlier.

my worry is losing the 'air' or shimmery 'openness' - do you think it's at a nice amount of air, or still scratchy?

ok - thanks again you two.
I did not put an exciter on the master - just a boost in the 12.5kz area.

This has definitely brought me closer to the final cut. So much gratitude. :)

Back