My first atempt at goa trance

YodAmygdala

Boom!

I'm starting out with my first atempt at making goa trance. I'm asking for comments on everything here - the choice of sounds, arrangment, mix and mastering. It is made with Ableton Live Intro without any expansions or third-party plug-ins, so I basically used what I could find. My original thought was to create goa with a touch of the "effect sounds" (what else should I call them?) from darkpsy.

When I see what you say about this I will post what I think myself and hopefully get more answers on what I can do to improove what I think are my main problem areas.

Hope the link works:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ddesyyln0e4b8h4/Hellige Balong - FTTPAB.wav?dl=0

I'm not downloading a WAV file to listen to something that I may or may not like.

Upload it as an MP3 and I'll give it a listen.

I have fast-ish internet. I'll do it!

I've heard that trance is big in Goa, but I'm not familiar with the specifics of the genre as enjoyed there.

Seems like an alright mix though. The kick gets a little buried at times. The snare is really quiet throughout, but I'm not sure how prominent that's supposed to be.
How important is the panning in these things? It's meant to be club music, right? So the panning effects will generally be lost.

Hey,

Sorry about the WAV. I saw someone complaining about listening to a soundcloud-link in another thread and thought I'd upload the best I could. Just uploaded a mp3 as well.

Goa trance is a type of psychedelic trance, although preceding the whole genre. Fast catchy intertwining melodies and lots of 303 is important denominators. And rolling basses.

Thanks for the comment! I like artist that use panning a lot even though it's club music. There are a lot less rules in psytrance than in other electronic genres. And, I'm not sure about other electronic genres, but I think maybe psytrance-parties is a bit more like a rock concert with a focus on the stage. Like an altar.

So I guess this may be the wrong forum for underground electronic music, then(?) :P

Even though I like my mix, it doesn't sound professional. And I do think professional mixes sound better. When I compare my mix to professional mixes, I notice the following things:

1. Every sound has it's own place and there are still more room/air between them no matter how many of them there are.
Is this this (only) an EQ-thing? Do producers cut(/boost) heavily different frequencies in sounds occupying the same frequency space? Is it the sounds I'm using? Will using different reverbs on different sounds help me? I will offcourse try all this on later tracks, but it's always nice to read what you do.
2. The bass/lower mid is more full-bodied. It sounds like there are more room in these areas in these mixes than in mine. When I try to turn something up somewhere I clutter the mix at once (even though I try to cut a lot in the 200-300Hz area - always using my ears). This is especialy concerning the "effect" sounds sweeping in and out. There's no room for them. They are either too loud or too quiet.
3. The top is more open and airy. I try to turn up the EQ and add a bit of exciter (only native effects), but it either doesn't work or it gets too bright and maybe also distorted.
Isn't my exciter good enough?

This is not just this song but everything I've ever produced...

BTW: I'm not particulary happy with the sounds (especially the kick and bass) in this track - it was only used because it was the best I could find.

Thank you!

Back