My Entry level Studio

robbyrobmusik

ok after much reading on here and pleading with the wife!! :p

I am going to attemp to record at entry level.

This is what i am getting. Am i forgetting something. I would hate for all of this to come and i am missing something and cant use it :eek:

My Set Up:

1. Whirlwind MC20 XLR Microphone Cable (20 ft.)
2. RaXXess Stoppit Pop Filter with Goose Neck
3. OnStage MC7201B Round Base Microphone Stand
4. M-Audio Audiophile 2496
5. 2 Monster Cable Standard Interlink 200 Dual RCA Interconnect Cable
6. Hosa Coiled Headphone Extension Cable
7. Sennheiser HD201 Closed-Back Headphones
8. 1 KRK RP5 Rokit Powered 2-Way Active Monitor <-- question about this below
9. CBI 14-Gauge Speaker Cable
10. Behringer UB1204 Pro Eurorack 12 Input Mixer
11. Rode NT1A Studio Condenser Microphone

ok my question on the monitors is that i am only getting one. At $150 this was the only one i saw that was 75 watts. Is there a problem with having just one monitor. Most other ones are in pairs. Now i could imagine this would present a problem when there is stuff different on both the left/right. I wouldnt be able to hear i suppose. Basically my question is the peeps that are using one monitor. Do u regret not buying on in pairs? Also it says that KRK is the "industry standard" monitor. how is the sound quality on these?

rob..

Well It seems that you have all of the equipment you need to get started, as for the Monitors it is pretty useless to have just one Monitor, It will cause more Frustration and problems trying to Mix with just one monitor as you will only be hearing half of what you are recording.....

You would be better off getting a Good set of headphones and save up for monitors....Or get a Cheaper Lower power set of Monitors as you don"t need 75w of power for Monitors, unless you want the poeple a block away to hear your Mixes?? LOL

My monitors have a total of 36w (20w Woofer 16w tweeter Bi-amped) and they are Plenty Loud enough for me and I haven"t even turned them past 5 yet.....

So maybe look for a smaller set of monitors or use headphones till you have enough for a Pair of monitors as a Single monitor will cause more problems then it is worth....You could even use your stereo system to monitor and your Headphones to Mix till you can afford a Pair of monitors....

Also have you picked out a Multi-track recording Program to record with??

Good luck

oh ok.. thanks for clearing up the monitor issue.. I will most def than get a pair. And now i understand the watts.. Thought 40watts wasnt enough.. Well back to the drawing board :)

the rokits are sold singly so people can use them in surround sound situations. I have a pair of the rp5 and i am very impressed with them. Your best option is to go to guitar center or somewhere like that and try them out with one of your cds. See if you can find detail in the cd that you havent heard before. I record in a fairly small room and run them on 3/4 of their volume.

How many tracks do you plan on recording simultaneously?Will you be using the mixer on the way in or just to route your audiophiles output in to headphones and monitor?
A lot of times a mixer isn't really necessary. You would get better sound by not buying the mixer and instead buying an reputable entry level preamp (DMP-3 comes to mind.) as the pre's on the behri board are not to great.

congrats. I remember when I first got all my equipment up and running... i kept disconnecting & reconnecting stuff like crazy.

Back