My condensers won't work.

Notebook.

I posted this in the other section on accident,
but, neither of my condensers will work.
and I have no clue why. I have an AKG Perception 200 and a Shure KSM27, and I also have a Lexicon Omega Interface with phantom power which should power these mics.

And they just don't work. I don't know what's wrong. can someone help me?

You're going to have to give much more info than that if you're looking for answers.

How do you know they're not working? What are the symptons? What do you see? What don't you see? etc....

Well, pretty much, when I plug my XLR cord into my SM58 and speak into it, I actually hear my vocals when I play it back. But, when I plug it into my AKG or my KSM27, I get no vocals whatsoever.

Is it XLR at both ends, or does it have a 1/4" connector on one end?

1/4" won't pass phantom power.

OK, I have to go through all of the possibilities even if some are obvious:

- is the phantom switch on the back of your unit on?

- is the phantom LED on the front of your unit lit?

you say your SM58 works into your interface, you are using an XLR to XLR cable plugged into the XLR input of your interface, but the condensers don't work. Once you have verified that phantom is on:

- it's possible you have a bad cable: if the pin 1 connection is broken dynamics will work but condensers won't. Try a different cable.

If none of those help, get a $15 multimeter from Radio Shack. Set it to DC volts. Plug your XLR cable into your interface. Measure from pin 2 or pin 3 to pin 1. You should get something around 48V. With the leads still in, set it to measure current--DC, in milliamps (mA). It should read hopefully at least 3mA and as much as 7mA. Repeat with the other pin (2 or 3) to pin 1. If that works, then your interface and cable are OK.

If you don't get any volts/milliamps, put the leads directly into the XLR input of your interface and repeat the test. If the interface doesn't have voltage or current (and phantom is really on!), then you have a broken unit.

If the direct interface test worked, but the cable into interface didn't, test the cable. Set the meter for continuity or resistance. Measure continuity/resistance between the cable ends: pin 1 to pin 1, pin 2 to pin 2, pin 3 to pin 3. If all have continuity (or measure less than 1 ohm), measure between different pins (1 to 2, 1 to 3). None of those should have continuity (very high resistance, higher than your $15 meter can measure). If something is wrong here, you have a broken cable.

That should verify that you have working cables and phantom. If you still haven't solved your problem, check one more time that phantom is actually on. Next, try the mics with someone else's interface or phantom-powered preamp, just to eliminate the slim possibility that both mics are broken.

The laws of trouble-shooting probability does state that if multiple devices are having the same problem that is something they all have in common.

I think the other guy nailed it on the head, lol.
My cord has the XLR on one end that goes into the mic, and then the other end is a 1\4 that I plug into an XLR adapter. :/

so I'm guessing both ends of my wire have to be XLR, without the use of an adapter?

Last edited:
I think the other guy nailed it on the head, lol.
My has the XLR on one end that goes into the mic, and then the other end is a 1\4 that I plug into an XLR adapter. :/

so I'm guessing both ends of my wire have to be XLR, without the use of an adapter?

EDIT: Oops! I need to read more carefully.

Yes, use an XLR to XLR cable and ditch the adapter.

FYI, you can get XLR cables on eBay for about five bucks a piece with free shipping. Don't remember the seller but I've bought a few things from them and they're trustworthy.

Radio Shack should have the XLR's or if you have a local music store they should carry them. I had an AKG Perception 200 that was giving me trouble a few months ago by cutting out for a second like it was overloading so I put it back in the case for about a week or so and now it works fine. It might have had some moisture in it or something I don't know.

Radio Shack should have the XLR's or if you have a local music store they should carry them. I had an AKG Perception 200 that was giving me trouble a few months ago by cutting out for a second like it was overloading so I put it back in the case for about a week or so and now it works fine. It might have had some moisture in it or something I don't know.

I think you just taught it a lesson....fail on me again and it's back in the cooler for you!!!

Back