my computer setup for a DAW

toadies

I'm building a computer, it will be use with my DIGI001.

4U Rack Mount Case - $122 (shipped)
Emerson 460watt Power Supply
Micron 512meg PC3200 x 2 - $144 (shipped)
Asus A7N8X mobo - $120 (shipped)
AMD XP 2800 - $233 (shippd)
ATI Radeon 9000 64MB - $69 (shipped)
Wester Digital 60 gig 7200RPM (apps)
Wester Digital 8meg cache 80 gig 7200RPM harddrive (audio) - $89 (shipped)
Lite On 52x24x52 - $55 (shipped)
Swann fire wire card - $20 (do not know shipping cost)
Delta DIO 2496 Sound Card - $120 (do not know shipping cost)
windows XP professinal edition.

this is mainly a computer recording machine (protools) and daily use.

already got the Power supply, 60 gig harddrive and windows XP.

Figure price is around $1000.

I'm getting 2 sticks of memory because the a7n8x has Dual channel DDR support

Should I save my money and go with PC2700 instead of PC3200. the buss on the XP2800 is 333mhz, while the buss on the PC3200 is 400mhz. price differents is like $4, or spend the extra and get the XP3000 with 400mhz buss

Any suggestions? Can't wait to order it. I been on a p3 500 for 4 years almost.

Well its gonna smoke that P3 500 for sure especially using XP.
As far as the Ram choice, if its only a few dollars difference, go for it. A 200MHz difference in CPU speed will not make much difference. My system is a 333fsb and moves right along just fine with Logic and other programs.

Hard Drives

Since digital audio requires fast hard disk access, consider a couple of 10,000 RPM SCSI drives. Yes, they are more expensive and smaller. TigerDirect.com usually has pretty good prices.

I know they are not necessay, but they are faster and reliable. The faster the drive the more tracks you can do simultaneously when using software multitrackers.

Just a thought.

Re: Hard Drives

wedsr1 said:
Since digital audio requires fast hard disk access, consider a couple of 10,000 RPM SCSI drives. Yes, they are more expensive and smaller. TigerDirect.com usually has pretty good prices.

I know they are not necessay, but they are faster and reliable. The faster the drive the more tracks you can do simultaneously when using software multitrackers.

Just a thought.

For homerecording overkill, especially for the price. Any new 7200rpm drive is fast enough for a shitload of simultaneous tracks at 24/96. Dozens. Yes, 10000rpm scsi drives are faster and probably more reliable but leave those to the professional studios who may get some real advantage out of them.

Back