My Buddy Steve

dragonworks

Banned
from high school is a luthier and has a shop in Barcelona. He winds his own pickups, builds acoustics and electrics. One of these days I have to get over there. Here is a pic of his pup winding "machine". He plays a mean sax also, was first sax in the all state band in HS.

Attachments

• puwinding.jpg
    puwinding.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 27
He also takes on students to help make ends meet. Here is his electric stand up bass.

Attachments

• standup.jpg
    standup.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 27
Nice one,

You got a bigger pic of that winder. It looks like a treadle? Love it.... I Wonder how he counts the turns? I love seeing how other people do stuff.

You should get over and see him. Drop by the UK too and you would be welcome here.

I think I would skip the UK. Only because of the weather, it is bad enough up her in the northeast. I don't have a bigger picture but it is probably a treadle. I see a multimeter on the bench, maybe he is checking the resistance to for the winding? I have another buddy who is the head tech for Spector Bass Guitars. He usually does the NAMM shows but skipped it this year. He plays bass in the original band I have but he smokes me on guitar. He has played with so many people I can't keep track. Has some credits on the Bands albums for mandolin and toured with them as their bass player when Rick Danko was in jail. As of now he is the lead guitar player for the Gabe Butterfield Blues Band who is trying to carry on his fathers name. Anytime I have any problems with a guitar he takes care of them. Steve is to far away but he usually gets over here once a year and we get together.

I think I would skip the UK. Only because of the weather, it is bad enough up her in the northeast. I don't have a bigger picture but it is probably a treadle. I see a multimeter on the bench, maybe he is checking the resistance to for the winding? I have another buddy who is the head tech for Spector Bass Guitars. He usually does the NAMM shows but skipped it this year. He plays bass in the original band I have but he smokes me on guitar. He has played with so many people I can't keep track. Has some credits on the Bands albums for mandolin and toured with them as their bass player when Rick Danko was in jail. As of now he is the lead guitar player for the Gabe Butterfield Blues Band who is trying to carry on his fathers name. Anytime I have any problems with a guitar he takes care of them. Steve is to far away but he usually gets over here once a year and we get together.

:D... Our weather aint really that bad. At least not in the summer. It's pretty bad right now though..

I'm guessing he simply counts the number of turns that he puts on the peddle and that would translate to the number of turns on the bobbing as a ratio. That would work fine if he can keep count of the peddle rotation. He may well have a pedometre on there. Either would work well.

One of the best things about building and repairing guitars is the cool people you get to meet and often jam with. It makes up for the low income..;)

He has a website I think but I don't have the link right now. Will have to look it up. You could contact him to ask him and mention my name and then he would probably never get back to you.

He has a website I think but I don't have the link right now. Will have to look it up. You could contact him to ask him and mention my name and then he would probably never get back to you.

lol... chuck me the link via PM. Your secret is safe with me, but I'm sure you're kidding.:D

I'd be interested to see his stuff. Us lot are always intrigued by how others do stuff and what they do. Much like musicians and others musicians stuff.

Since you mentioned he was first sax in an all state HS band...that sounds like he went to HS in the USA, so I'm kinda curious how/why he ended up in Barcelona with a shop as a Luther? Seems like that could be an interesting story.

Does he build his Teles or just owns/likes Teles?
He can't be all bad then.
Of all the single-coil guitars....Teles are my favorite, though I'm not a Tele fanatic. I only have one, but looking to add another one or two at some point.

Since you mentioned he was first sax in an all state HS band...that sounds like he went to HS in the USA, so I'm kinda curious how/why he ended up in Barcelona with a shop as a Luther? Seems like that could be an interesting story.

Does he build his Teles or just owns/likes Teles?
He can't be all bad then.
Of all the single-coil guitars....Teles are my favorite, though I'm not a Tele fanatic. I only have one, but looking to add another one or two at some point.

He makes his teles. He was a carpenter and met a Spanish girl here in the states and married her and went to Barcelona. That was many years ago and has since been divorced, but stayed in Barcelona and quit being a carpenter.

He makes his teles. He was a carpenter and met a Spanish girl here in the states and married her and went to Barcelona. That was many years ago and has since been divorced, but stayed in Barcelona and quit being a carpenter.

Barcelona also has a long and established history of fine luthiers so he was/is in good company.

Back