My broken gear :(

I own an ancient TASCAM 244 Portastudio, with very dirty-sounding pots. A couple years ago, it stopped being able to record on track 1. Last year, the belt slipped off, and when I put it back on, it would play a tape, but not record on ANY track but then the belt slipped again anyway. I'm still using it as a mixer.

I replaced this unit with a TASCAM 564 Digital Portastudio. Unfortunately the disc drive was knocked out of whack during shipping (it came by land from South Carolina, to the west coast of Canada; that's one long ride), so once more I'm left with a fully functioning mixer at least.

Until last year, I was using a crappy old desktop PC as my mixdown deck, but it too stopped working. I'll be getting some parts from a friend to try to piece something together.

Lately all I'm left with is a TASCAM Porta07 Ministudio (I preferred the 244 by far when it worked). Years ago, a friend was servicing the power supply, and when the unit came back to me, it was going at standard 1 7/8 ips instead of its original 3 3/4 ips. It still works, but doesn't sound as good. I have a really nice TEAC cassette deck to mixdown to now. My studio is pretty lo-fi, though my skills have developed to compensate somewhat.

I'm definitely going to try and get the 564 repaired locally, but that 244 was made in the early 80s and has had one problem after another. Anyone here think it's worth it to get the old tape machine fixed? I'm also toying with the idea of getting the Porta07 back up to speed, though I do enjoy playing regular tapes backwards occasionally. Any thoughts?

Get it fixed. Vintage gear rules.
I don't know if that's such a good advice (I'm assuming you're talking about the 224). I used to be very fond of my Portastudio, but even I had to admit at one point that the tape was degrading my sound (and I did stock up on Maxell XL-IIs, and I did keep my recording head clean and demagnetised).

I have gone the digital route, picking up a TASCAM M-164UF 16 channel mixer / 16 channel USB 2.0 audio interface for $525 Canadian just after Xmas

Nice!

Well, I might try to get a price quote on repairing the 244. Depending on how much it is, I may go the ebay route again. I'd much rather have a TASCAM 424 or 488. I don't want to stop using cassettes because I love the sound. Actually my intention was to fill up the four tracks of a tape, then bounce it to the digital machine, just to keep that analog sound.

When my computer was working, I would bounce to stereo wav file, then back to tape, add two more tracks and so on. I called it "digilog" recording. I had a song where a couple of sections just didn't fit in well, so I just cut them out using Audacity, which is a hell of a lot easier than cutting tape (something I've never tried and don't really want to).

As the moment, I'm kinda grateful that my one working four-track is only running at normal speed, because the 2 track tape I'm bouncing to doesn't need to be bounced back. Of course, If both my four-track tape machines were at the same speed, it would be the same thing only better.

One other thing that's a real pain in the neck: waiting for the bottle of tape head cleaner that I bought on ebay 2 flippin' months ago! I ordered a badly-needed demagnetizer 2 weeks ago and I won't be surprised if it gets here first.

Back