My broadband absorbers - DIY

MessianicDreams

So, this one time at bandcamp...

The plan was to build some sort of broad band absorder with a Rockwool-type insulation as an absorber, in a 120cm*60cm frame. The build number was to be a total of 10 traps: 4 for me, 4 for my friend, 2 to sell to make back some of the dosh we spent on them. The design would try to illiminate as much wood as possible from the frame work - this proved challenging. We sarted with 4m80 lengths of 22mm thick and 174mm wide pine, which got cut down to 60cm and 120cm lenghts, and once the holes were drilled out, the pieces were mounted into a simple regtangular frame.

emptyframemd7.jpg

The absorbant insulation was Knauf Crown Roll acoustic paneling, bought in rolls 6.50m*1.20m, 100mm thick. Initially the stuff smelt pretty bad (the odour best described as rotting fish :( ) but these seems to have disappeared after leaving it outside in the fresh air for a few hours.

insulationkw6.jpg

The insulation was easy to cut through with a Stanley (carpet) knife. Luckily, the roll seemed to be pre-cut to a width of 2*60cm, which fit our frame perfectly. A frame was used to stencil out the amount of insulation needed per frame during the cutting, which made the process much easier than it otherwise could've been. The insulation was doubled in lengths of 60cm*120cm, so that there would be 2*100mm of insulation packed into a 175mm wide frame.

insulationcutqz7.jpg

The whole lot was then wrapped (easier said than done!) in a light, loose-weave fabric.

The results? AMAZING! The traps have been very cheap to make ( <£15, or $30 to build, each), and have made a serious improvement to my room. I've only finished 4 so far, and really roughly positioned them in my room, but it has made quite an impact already - certaily worth the effort and money put into making them.

Once I've figured out how to properly do the measurements (and how to graph them!) I'll borrow a Klark-Technik measurement microphone and do some before/after graphs of the frequency response at my mix position.

finishedframezj7.jpg

finishedframes2ow0.jpg

EDIT: looks like the pics are a bit big..any idea how to resize them in OSx?

Last edited:
EDIT: looks like the pics are a bit big..any idea how to resize them in OSx?

An image editor? Even Windows comes with a crappy image editor. Surely Mac has something better that it comes with.

Myriad_Rocker said:
An image editor? Even Windows comes with a crappy image editor. Surely Mac has something better that it comes with.

no kidding ;)

anyways, i resized them using image shack. makes for better viewing!

Possum Trot...pretty close to Monkey's Eyebrow :eek: (Inside joke sorry, couldn't resist).

cincy_kid said:
nice job. I will have to build some more soon. My last ones didn't have holes in the sides but thats not a bad idea ;)

The holes in the sides are to help with the low end absorption coefficiency (is that a word?). I would've done holes on the top but...well I'm lazy, and it was a total ball-ache. I'd love to say that it was to improve the integrity of the structure that I left the tops and bottoms unpierced...but we were doing 8 holes per side (16 per trap) and made 10 traps...that was 160 holes already. Now considering that you have to drill half way thru the plank, turn it over and drill the over half, thats more like 320 holes! you start to get the idea.

ANyways, i strongly suggest that everyone does this! Especially if your room is untreated. It can also help damp down a very "live" tracking room quite well. I'm probably gunna end up building some of these for a studio i work at, as they've got a stone-wall drum room and it tends to be a bit on the "live" side for certain applications.

Either way, it's really helped tighten up not only the frequency response but also the stereo imagine! My mixes (especially the low end) have started to translate much better, and the early reflections that were slightly ripping my head off (i was thinking my monitors were just BRIGHT!) have now pretty much disappeared.

All in a weekend work :cool:

anyways, thanks for stopping by :)

foreverain4 said:
yes mac has a photo editor, it is called "iphoto". also, you can download "gimp" for free....

couldn't figure out how to "resize" and change the dimensions in iPhoto..

i think i'm iChallenged ;)

bennychico11 said:
how are you mounting these Messianic?

unless I missed it...

benny,

As it stands they're not being mounted yet, but once i move into my new place in June they'll be mounted using hooks and twin.

They are very light despite their size so hopefully this shouldn't be too hard. I think only 2 of them will be mounted, the others will be floor standing (or raised slightly on crates or something) - i'm not sure yet i need to move into my new place and sort out what's the best option. I'll probably be building more of them this summer too..

But a few hooks into the frames, and a few more hooks in the walls and the job's a good'un!

Cheers,

MD

bennychico11 said:
that's 'cause you took out about 40% of it's weight with the holes :p

well yeh, there's that too :cool: but also the insulation weighs next to nothing, and the wood ain't that heavy.

i'll have a look at the Z clips, seems quite ingenious really..I was thinking if i have them with string it actually means i can angle them and shit.

I'll cross that bridge when i come to it, but thanks for the link anyways :)

question about the wood you used to make the frame, is there any particular reason you picked pine

dose it even matter what type wood is used since holes are being cut in all four sides.........

raven46 said:
question about the wood you used to make the frame, is there any particular reason you picked pine

dose it even matter what type wood is used since holes are being cut in all four sides.........

I picked pine because it's fairly cheap and soft, so easy to cut etc. I didn't really do much research into it - i figured the holes are (supposed) to minimise the effect of having wood there at all.

But no, i didnt really look into this side of the design..perhaps i should've?

MessianicDreams said:
I picked pine because it's fairly cheap and soft, so easy to cut etc. I didn't really do much research into it - i figured the holes are (supposed) to minimise the effect of having wood there at all.

But no, i didnt really look into this side of the design..perhaps i should've?

The holes is a great way to increase the area for the bass frequencies to be absorbed, instead of reflecting off the wood it can now enter the holes and through the fiberglass/rockwool where it should be.

It is also an added bonus in the weight reduction. The wood choice of pine is the most widely used purely because of the price and the ease to work with. The wood only needs to be acting as a framework for the insulation, so there is no need to buy an expensive type of wood just so you cun cut holes in it.

You have done a great job MessianicDreams. :)

Gorty said:
The holes is a great way to increase the area for the bass frequencies to be absorbed, instead of reflecting off the wood it can now enter the holes and through the fiberglass/rockwool where it should be.

It is also an added bonus in the weight reduction. The wood choice of pine is the most widely used purely because of the price and the ease to work with. The wood only needs to be acting as a framework for the insulation, so there is no need to buy an expensive type of wood just so you cun cut holes in it.

You have done a great job MessianicDreams. :)

Cheers Gorty :)

Raven - actually i lied. I had thought the whole lot thru - as you can see from the above post.

I just wanted to keep a lil suspense around here :cool:

its a great idea man,

i have two rolls of fiberglass im not using for anything so im going to try this,

is it ok/safe to use fiberglass in a small room, my room is about 13ftx10ft

i was thinking of making 4 frames at 90cmx50cm, wood 120mmx22mm
ant a 5th frame at 150cmx90cm, wood 120mmx22
with holes drilled out on all 4 sides

when these are packed with the fiberglass and only covered with weave frabic is that alot of fiberglass to be using in a small room that wont really be ventelated apart from opening a door or window when its not in use

Back