My best recording yet...

Title: Starsong
Production date: June 2010

My daughter and I wrote this pop song together. We made a crappy tape of it last year, but I re-recorded it recently so she could sing it at her school talent show. She was in Grade 3. The original had all the lyrics in it (not that you could really hear them), but this is a karaoke version, so the only vocal is my backup in the chorus.

The drum track is made up of samples which I put together with Ableton. Everything else was done in Audacity.

My mixer is a TASCAM 564 Digital Portastudio, and my microphones are cheap junk from Radio Shack. Guitar and bass go through a Digitech RP300 directly in to the mixer with no amps or mics. The line out from my mixer then goes to the line in on my motherboard's built-in sound card, because lo-fi us the best I can do right now.

Anyway, here's the link. http://villain-s-deeds.blogspot.com/2010/06/today-i-signed-up-for-podcastmachine.html

What do you think?

What's the rumbling sound under the verses? Is that the kick? It could use a lot more definition. You could do that with EQ.

There's also a crackling noise under the intro, chorus, guitar solo, and bridge. I'm not sure where that comes from, but it drags the whole production down.

The guitar tone sounds pretty good.

Did you put any reverb on the vocals? Right now they kind of sound like they're in a tin can. Some good 'verb might help that.

What's the rumbling sound under the verses? Is that the kick? It could use a lot more definition. You could do that with EQ.

There's also a crackling noise under the intro, chorus, guitar solo, and bridge. I'm not sure where that comes from, but it drags the whole production down.

The guitar tone sounds pretty good.

Did you put any reverb on the vocals? Right now they kind of sound like they're in a tin can. Some good 'verb might help that.

Shit, I didn't know I had any replies on this one, so let me think back a couple months...

The crackling noise is from vinyl. Some of the drum sounds are sampled from LPs.

As for the vocals, my mics are cheap junk, so that might have something to do with it, but I'll look into some reverb.

Back