My Band's New Song

yeah

Hey guys. This is my band's new song and I was just wanting to know your opinion on the mix. Everything seemed to sit pretty well with very little tweaking so I was just wanting to know if there is anything I've overlooked or if I could improve it anyway. I've attached it an an MP3. Also we're from Scotland, hence the accent.

Attachments

• SONG JUNE3.mp3
    8.1 MB · Views: 37
There's some pretty obvious auto-tuning going on here with the vocals. That, and the bass guitar sounds kind of muffled. It doesn't have one key frequency range in the low end that it is resonating in. Occasionally on certain notes I hear it generate some 200hz mud, but it doesn't have a strong and consistent low end.

With the vocals, Go through and listen and automate the autotune only for the parts where he really needs it. Right now he kind of sounds robotic, and you can hear the pitch shifting kick in between certain notes.

As for the bass guitar, this is hard to get right without quality monitors. Generally I listen all the way through the bass track and listen for certain notes that are louder than others. Most of the time with bass, there will be one or two notes that are consistently louder/more rumbly than the others. Isolate one of these notes, solo the bass guitar, and do an EQ sweep through your low end to find the offending frequency and then do a notch cut of it. Basically, that means taking a very narrow bandwidth, do a massive boost, and sweet it slowly through the frequency range, listening for when your EQ boost has come accross the frequency that is generating the noise. You'll be able to tell by how loud it sounds once its on the right frequency. Than just turn the boost into a -5, -6 db cut.

Once you have that frequency notched out, then it's safe to give the bass a general boost in the low end. Usually it's around 90hz - 100hz.

Thanks for the reply man. You're right about the vocals; I'll cut between the un pitch corrected track and the pitch corrected for the slightly off notes to fix. As for the bass. I think the problems are from the fuzz/overdrive bass which was blended so I reckon if I put a high pass filter on the overdrive track then the non driven tracks low end will punch through more properly. A little more compression on it as well. Thanks again

Nice song.

Little pop at :22.

When the guitars kick in at 1:32, they cover the vocal. The seems to be much softer at the point.

There are some cymbal crashes in the slower part at the beginning of the song. They're so soft, they're almost not worth putting in. I'd either boost them 4-5 dbs or taking them out.

Harmonies in the chorus would be nice.

I think the distorted rhythm guitar has a little too much gain dialed in. It sounds a little mushy.

Thanks 3M (heard the pop). A stocking on a coat hanger will fix that ;-)

I think this is a really good effort, but you need to get to know it and sing it without vocal tuners, for me that is the most obvious weakness. And this style would prefer some confidence and honest deviation in pitch to the homogeny of vocal tuners... unless kiddie pop is the ambition (vocal tuners reek of no confidence and no sex appeal, which is perhaps why kiddies seem to love the sound... so unthreatening).

Nice song. Two comments: in the intro you may want to do some automation to Ensure the vocal is not buried too much in the instruments. Overall, the vocals seems little bit detached from the rest of the song.

Back