My amp is dead, no sound.

capnkid

Optimus Prime
:(.
I changed the tubes because it was crackeling, that cured that, but the volume was dropping out on both channels. I tried to fire it up last night and nothing.
I guess I am going to have to force myself to read "how to fix your own tube amp", or send it to peavey for $40/hr.:rolleyes:

yep, you might want to have a good tech work on your amp, local or Peavey...did you buy it from a local store or on-line, is it outta warranty...? I've been playing/using amps for over 40years and don't work on mine, outside of tube replacement, no biggy. Good luck getting your amp back up and rockin' on.

my son's amp was doing the same. i thought may be the speaker was cooked but it turned out to be a problem in the reverb circuit.

the repair bill was less than 100 bucks.

yep, you might want to have a good tech work on your amp, local or Peavey...did you buy it from a local store or on-line, is it outta warranty...? I've been playing/using amps for over 40years and don't work on mine, outside of tube replacement, no biggy. Good luck getting your amp back up and rockin' on.

Yeah, no warranty as I bought it used. It's a peavey bravo from 91 or 92. I guess amps start having issues when they're creeping up on 20 years old.

have ya got a good glow on all the tubes??? the fact that it affects both channels means it's either the driver/invertor stage or the output... is there an effects loop??? burnish the jack... for that matter double check all the connections... in all my years of doing service you'ld be surprised how often problems came down to physical rather than electrical things...

have ya got a good glow on all the tubes??? the fact that it affects both channels means it's either the driver/invertor stage or the output... is there an effects loop??? burnish the jack... for that matter double check all the connections... in all my years of doing service you'ld be surprised how often problems came down to physical rather than electrical things...

Yeah, look for tube glow. I once bought a Fender Showman really cheap (never should have sold it, but that's another story) because it was "dead", when all it was was a break in the tube heater loop. 10 seconds and a drop of solder is all it took.

I'll do that tonight, if I get time that is.:rolleyes:

1. Do you have another speaker you could plug into the amp?

2. Plug a cord into the "Send" jack and the other end of the cord into another amp or something you can monitor the send with. If you get sound it may be a problem with the power amp section.

3. Plug a cord into the "Return" jack and the other end into the output of a pedal or effect that you can play through. If you get sound it may be a problem with the preamp section.

If you don't get sound in either 2 or 3 it could be a problem with the amps power supply. If you get sound on both, it could be the switch contact in the return jack to allow signal to pass through when nothing is plugged in.

Try reseating the tubes in their sockets by wiggling them around a bit.

If you don't have the manual, you can get it a Peaveys site. It shows a block diagram of each amp section. Unfortunately they didn't have a schematic.

thanx........

Did you change the fuse?

I'm suprised nobody mentioned changing the fuse yet (unless I missed it). Every now and then my Twin will die because the fuse blew. You can pick a few up at any hardware store for under $3. I keep spares taped to the back of the amp. Try to get the right kind that are recommended by the amp maker; they'll last longer this way.

Always check the fuse first when something dies. It's a simple low cost fix you can do yourself.

I'm suprised nobody mentioned changing the fuse yet (unless I missed it). Every now and then my Twin will die because the fuse blew. You can pick a few up at any hardware store for under $3. I keep spares taped to the back of the amp. Try to get the right kind that are recommended by the amp maker; they'll last longer this way.

Always check the fuse first when something dies. It's a simple low cost fix you can do yourself.

And get a slow-blow fuse.

What model of Peavey? I have a Classic 30 that "crackled" also and when I changed the tubes it didn't crackle, but if I remember right the volume just didn't work right and eventually went altogether. Anyways the problem were jumper wires between the circuit boards that had come loose. I have read this is a common problem for the Classic 30. About four months later I was playing and the volume just faded away. The repair on this says "repaired open high voltage connections in power amp circuit". Maybe one of these issues is the problem, but sounds like you need to get it to a tech.

What model of Peavey? I have a Classic 30 that "crackled" also and when I changed the tubes it didn't crackle, but if I remember right the volume just didn't work right and eventually went altogether. Anyways the problem were jumper wires between the circuit boards that had come loose. I have read this is a common problem for the Classic 30. About four months later I was playing and the volume just faded away. The repair on this says "repaired open high voltage connections in power amp circuit". Maybe one of these issues is the problem, but sounds like you need to get it to a tech.

are the jumpers the flat grey strips?

here are a couple of pics of the chassis.
HPIM1657.jpg

HPIM1656.jpg

Back