My 57 died

jeronimo

Yes, I guess I'm the first human that own a 57 that broke...
I was recording my own band and while I was playing the drums, I hit the 57 that was on the snare... and now... it's not working anymore... :(
What do you guys suggest? Take it to someone to fix it, fix it myself or buy a new one?

Did you give it a decent burial? :D

Actually, I've seen mentioned here that Shure will rebuild them at $50 each.

Probably worth it unless you were looking for an excuse to buy a new mic

With a new SM57 only being $70 or so, it's probably better to just buy a new one and "experiment" on the broken one...maybe you can get it working again yourself.

Slackmaster 2000

You might call Shure. I don't know if they still do, but at one time they had a pretty decent exchange program. You'd send in the old one, and they'd send you a new one at a discounted price. Worth a phone call to find out?

If its broken, trying to fix it is gonna be difficult. Usually one of the wires going to the coil is broken. These are like microfine hairs and if you can even SEE it you're lucky. Trying ot strip the wire and resolder and shield it is just about impossible. My advice is to send it back to Shure if its cheaper than buying a new one.

My sincere, heartfelt condolances:( :( :( :( :(
Heaven is a 57 richer, earth has lost one.............again.
May it rest in peace

When I was 7 years old my dad took me for a ride in the car and told me there was no Santa Claus or Easter bunny or tooth fairy, your news that a SM 57 has died puts me on the same level of disbelief, denial and depression.

I think a virtual funeral is in order, maybe get Alan and Harvey and Gidge to say a few words.

I need closure.

A while back I noticed the front grill on my 57 was rattling on a guitar track. I contemplated just putting some tape or a dab of glue on it, but curiousity got the better of me so I took it apart. After marking and de-soldering the leads from the capsule to the lower half of the body, I removed the nuts on the capsule housing stud and pushed the capsule out the front. The capsule housing fits very tight in the body. The grill is held on by a metal ring that snaps into a recess in the capsule housing. The wires from the diaphram are extremely thin and run down each side of the housing. They are covered with plastic tape. I tweaked the metal ring on the grill to keep it from rattling and re-assembled the mic.

It no longer produced a signal.:(

A couple days later after I had cooled off I disassembled it again and discovered that one of those hair-like wires that connect the diaphram to the terminals on the back of the capsule housing had broken near the terminal. I managed to solder it back on and the mic now works again. However if that grill ever gets loose again I'll just put some glue on it.:D

At least now I know how a 57 is constructed and I also think I know why they can handle such high sound levels. I'm not going to spill the beans on that one though. If you want to see that you'll have to be brave (or stupid) enough to dig into one. :p

If the mic doesn't work and you can handle soldering hairs you have a good chance of success and nothing to lose. :D

M.Brane

You have boldly gone where others fear to trek. Still, we're dealing with a dead 57 here, and this is serious stuff.

I've dropped 'em, thrown 'em, poured the contents of a barmat shooter in 'em, later to have Emmy Lou Harris and the like sing through 'em. They don't just die. This is indeed a sad occasion and I feel obligated to contact some people about this matter.

Geez, next thing I'm going to hear is that someone broke an EV 664.

Thanks for all your condolances :) :)

I'll disassemble it today and see if I can find something... since I'm in Brazil, I don't really think there will be any exchange program from Shure, but I'll try to see what I can find...

Thanks again!

Don't let it go without taking someone with it. Get on a high building, throw the mic as hard as you can in the crowd below. The mic deserves it. You know it does.

This 545 I have here simply went dead in storage. I haven't the faintest idea why. I was never bumped or anything. I assume it was a humidity/corrosion thing.

I've always regarded these as hugely overrated, but that may be because mine were so unbalanced and (apparently!) fragile.

bongolation said:
This 545 I have here simply went dead in storage. I haven't the faintest idea why. I was never bumped or anything. I assume it was a humidity/corrosion thing.

I've always regarded these as hugely overrated, but that may be because mine were so unbalanced and (apparently!) fragile.

It didn't just die, it pined away from neglect and just being left in storage.......without sound. Don't you guys understand mics have got feelings??:rolleyes:

Back