Mxlv67g

ashulman

I have read some nice things about this mic on this forum and was shocked to see a street price of only a hundred bucks. What gives? I have a Behringer B-2 and while it sounds OK I am looking for a vocal mic that is not quite so harsh. I have a voice that comes across harsh in the midrange at high volumes when using the B-2. I have read that the V67 is warm. Any recommendations for my problem? Could I spend a little more and get a better mic for this issue?

I think the Marshall MXLV67G is a nice mic... however, the only way your going to know if you like the V67G (or any mic) is to audition it for yourself. Good luck and have fun.

ashulman said:
Could I spend a little more and get a better mic for this issue?

Yea, you could spend more and get a Shure ksm32 or an SM-7. Very smooth, unhyped mics. The CAD M177 is another under-rated, mostly neutral budget condenser I like a lot. You could even spend less and pick up a Studio Projects B1, and you'd probably like that one a lot better.

Just look around and ask about mics that don't have as much of the high or high/mid boost (you want something more neutral), and you'll probably do just fine.

Actually look around and you should be able to beat a hundred bucks, particularly if you go for the more plain looking V67M instead of the snazzy green and gold model.

You might be able to spend a few dollars more, but you might be able to save those dollars and still be happy with the results.

If you cannot find a store with a generous return policy buy one on ebay and if you don't like it sell it the same way.

v67G for $82, including shipping!

v67G. $71.99 on eBay, brand new, plus $10 shipping. So for a total of about $82!!! I ordered one last week, and expect it'll arrive today or tomorrow. This seller has a great rep on eBay. I'll let you know if I have any problems with the shipping, product, etc.

Here's the link. He seems to have a bunch of these mics, so if this auction has ended just click the "view my other auctions" link and there's bound to be another ending in a few hours, or the next day.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2535779834&category=41466

ashulman said:
Any recommendations for my problem? Could I spend a little more and get a better mic for this issue?

By the way, what sort of pre-amp are you using with your Behringer B-2? Generally speaking it's best to achieve the sound you want by using an appropriate mic, but in some cases choosing the right pre makes a big difference, especially if you're using one that really colors the sound of your mic. I wonder if the harshess you're hearing is a product of the pre, or is perhaps exaggerated by it.

Innovations said:
Actually look around and you should be able to beat a hundred bucks, particularly if you go for the more plain looking V67M instead of the snazzy green and gold model.

You might be able to spend a few dollars more, but you might be able to save those dollars and still be happy with the results.

If you cannot find a store with a generous return policy buy one on ebay and if you don't like it sell it the same way.

Actually, it's going to be pretty hard to find a V67M, since that was made specifically for Mars Music, who is long since out of business. The other models are the V67B (often just called the V67), and the V67S. The only difference between them is the body color: G = green, B = black, S = silver. You should be able to do better than $100, probably in the $80 range.

I have one, and love it. I'd highly recommend it. BUT, I'd also recommend spending some time with the mic you already have, to make sure that what you really need is a new mic. Sometimes, you need to work with mic placement. Try it at eye-level, pointing at your mouth. If that sucks, try it at chest level, pointing straight into the chest. If that sucks, try directly over your head, pointing into the middle of your cranium. You get the point. It's not always about the gear. In the end, it's about the sound, not about the gear you use to get there.

That being said, I have seen many folks trash the Behringer mics. I've never used one, so I have nothing to say about it. If, after much experimentation, you decide that the mic has nothing to offer you, and of the mics suggested above would be interesting starting points. Head down to a store, and line 'em up, and give 'em a test drive. See what you think.

-mg

mgraffeo said:
Actually, it's going to be pretty hard to find a V67M, since that was made specifically for Mars Music, who is long since out of business. The other models are the V67B (often just called the V67), and the V67S. The only difference between them is the body color: G = green, B = black, S = silver. You should be able to do better than $100, probably in the $80 range.

-mg

Not to open a can of worms, but M could mean "Mogami" as well. I've seen a few of the online retailers selling v67m MXL's as of earlier today. Could be left-over stock from Mars, however these are touted to be wired with "Mogami wire" so the logical conclusion is that M = Mogami.

I am using a Ultra Gain Pro mic pre which I think is also a Behringer product. It could be the problem but I also think I had this issue going around it. I'll have to experiment. The comments about placement interest me as well.

toorglick said:
Not to open a can of worms, but M could mean "Mogami" as well. I've seen a few of the online retailers selling v67m MXL's as of earlier today. Could be left-over stock from Mars, however these are touted to be wired with "Mogami wire" so the logical conclusion is that M = Mogami.
Yes there is leftover Mars stock floating around, not to mention the occasional resale on e-bay. I mostly wanted to point out that there were multiple models of the V67 whose only difference in coloring was on the case and not the sound.

In addition, the last time I called 8th Street Music, their return policy was 14 days, full refund, no questions asked, on microphones. I love that...most places that I've talked to tell me "no returns on microphones due to health reasons". You will find that some places don't state that in their online return policy (SamAss, etc.).

That being said (here's the disclaimer), I have not yet ordered from 8thStreet, but I've heard good things about them, and WILL order my next mic from them (seeing as my local music store does not carry SP mics).

Tom

:)

I've ordered stuff from 8th street... their a good dealer, and they have the Marshall MXL V67G in stock.

I was getting ready to order the 67B black one. I thought that Sam Ash had them for $80, but they only list the Gold one for $99 now. Does anyone know of a place that still carries the Black one for $80?

Back