MXL what to choose...

carmo

I've ordered a MXL 770 but is out of stock.

They gave me 2 other options: 990 or 2006.

what should i choose?

I want to record vocals with acustic guitar at one time.
thanks

I always hear good things about the v63m. I've never actually used it, so I can't say for sure. I actually own a few MXLs and I'm overall pleased with the bang to buck ratio. I have two sets of the 990/991 (the ones with 3/4" diaphragms)…they are usable for certain things (drum OH/acoustic guitar). I also own a v62i (bought used from a friend for $40). It's a dual diaphragm mic with a "warm" and a "bright" side. I find the warm side to be almost unusable. It picks up a lot of room noise, but I haven't tried it since I actually acoustically treated my room. I have tinkered with the idea of recording a real lo-fi one take acoustic/vocal ballad with the "warm" side to get that bedroom type feel, but honestly, I didn't get into home recording to get a bedroom sound, y'know? I also own two MXL drum cubes as my primary drum OH mics…they are especially useful with songs that don't call for each tom to be miked….I'm rambling, main point, MXL makes some decent budget mics, I'm not familiar with your current choices, but look into the v63m.

I wasn't super-happy with my 990. It started acting up within a few months (sudden volume changes, etc)

If you have your heart set on a 990, GuitarCenter has them on sale right now for $50. I was never happy with my 990 mics but I do like a lot of its cousins. The V250 is on-sale today at MusiciansFriend for $40. According to RecordingHacks, it's essentially an SP-1 in a different body. Also, take a look at my nearby PSSL post---there are some good MXL bargains available there. Another inexpensive ($60) option for a vocal/guitar 1mic recording is a Nady SCM960 . . .. and there's always the ubiquitous AT2020.

Paj
8^)

Last edited:
Buy a MXL V67G and send it to Michael Jolly @ oktavamod to have it modified....I had one laying around and set it to him for modification and WoW. I have no affiliation with the company, other than being a customer, but they have modified a couple of mics for me.

Back