MXL V93 Price Alert

crawdad

Dammit, Jim, Shut Up!
If anybody has an interest in this mic, MusiciansFriend is selling them with shockmount for $99.00 right now. I've had one for quite a while now, and I love mine. Just thought I'd pass this along.

i have the v67G and the v93M....the v93 is the Mars version of the MXL2003......

the v93 wont be a step up or down, more of a side step...it has a more neutral sound....a lot flatter......

my voice is very small and needs all the help it can get so the v67 is the weapon of choice...helps fill it out alot.....esp. thru a Joe Meek........;)

if the voice or instrument needs a flat response, the v93M would suit it better...in other words, if you want the recording to sound exactly like what what you are hearing in the room, the v93 would be the better choice....

I think it is important to be fore-warned on this . . .

The v93 and the mxl2003 are the same mic. The v93 is not a flat or neutral mic. I used to own one, and frankly, I found it rather bright.

Very much so, actually. When used on several tracks, it had a way of making my mixes sound somewhat harsh; overly-bright.

I would look at it as a color mic. If you're not getting enough beater click out of your kick drum mic, for instance . . . or if you have a track like accoustic guitar that just really needs the extra high end boost to stick out in a mix; or maybe your voice is really dark or you don't annunciate well. This mic might be ideal in these situations.

It's very bright, but not nearly as harsh as it's brother, the mxl 2001 or something like an NT1, so don't think I'm totally dogging the mic or anything. :D

Honestly, though, if you're looking for an all-purpose mic for layering several tracks with, I would honestly look elsewhere. The Studio Projects B1 would make for a much better candidate due to it's (comparitively) neutral character and flatter response.

chessrock said:
The v93 and the mxl2003 are the same mic. The v93 is not a flat or neutral mic. I used to own one, and frankly, I found it rather bright.

i would agree that it is bright.......i've had some issue with this on vocals....but have had great success w/ other vocals......my inconsistency has more to do with the fact that i hardly know what i'm doing than it does the mic........for the price, i can't help but recommend it.........

I agree with the brightnes issue to some degree. When I record my own vocals with it, I usually put a dip in the EQ at about 5k, which really helps. That same brightnes can be a plus on acoustic guitar and some other instruments where you want that kind of clarity. I've not used the SP B1, so I can't compare.

The V93 is a different animal than the V67, which has more robust lower mids, and a certain brightness and character all its own. For me, the V67 does not always work, but thats because of my voice. I have used the V67 on other voices and I have had very good results. I don't know if I would call the V93 a "step up". Rather, its a different flavor. Consider it a poor man's Neumann TLM 103 (I hope I got that right!). I saw a frequency chart comparison between the two, and they are relatively identical. The Neumann had slightly hotter output, but the frequency curves, as measured in a laborotory setting, were almost identical. I plan to order a second one for the 99 bucks because I like tthe mic a lot and hgave had success with it.

Back