MXL V76 - opinions?

torkay

Hello,

i´m interested in this mic, but i can´t test it ...i only know and like the MXL V69 (which is a bit too dark in my taste)...how does it compare to it..i´ve also heard it is the successor of the V77 which is a fine mic, too...has it the same quality (it´s 99$ cheaper) or are there any differences expcept from the looks?
is it a more darker or a more brighter mic?

i like to use for non agressive music (pop, triphop, folk)
hope someone knows more about these mics

torkay

...thanks for the info...sounds nice..unfortunaltely the V77s are very rare and expensive on ebay....i have to import the V76 from USA so it would cost me around 220€... still a good price but for 298€ i also could get a t.bone SCT-2000 which is a OEM-version of the SE Z-5600...but OEMs are always risky to buy... :o

torkay

torkay said:
...thanks for the info...sounds nice..unfortunaltely the V77s are very rare and expensive on ebay....i have to import the V76 from USA so it would cost me around 220€... still a good price but for 298€ i also could get a t.bone SCT-2000 which is a OEM-version of the SE Z-5600...but OEMs are always risky to buy... :o

torkay

...well, if the SCT-2000 is really built by sE, I would probably opt for that mic...I have 2 Cascade V55 tube mics which are also built by sE for Cascade, and they are terrific...sE's quality control is more consistant these days than most of the Chinese manufacturers, and their mics get high marks in the trade reviews...it certainly looks like it is the same microphone (even the aluminum case, mount and power supply look the same)...go for the t.bone...I have had excellent results with sE's own product (my sE 2200A) and their private-label product (Cascade V55)...certainly, anything close to the Z5600 would be a big step up from the V76t...now, the V77s, that's a different story...

torkay said:
..in Germany there is also the MXL 9000 available..do you know in what in differs from the V76? ...it looks a bit cheaper...

torkay

...here's my finding as posted in the link above:

"OK, I had a chance to contact Scott at MXL, and he was kind enough to give me some of the (very interesting) details about the MXL9000 and the V76t...as he explained, the 9000 was originally made as a US exclusive for Guitar Center (private label, much like the MXL 960 is built for Musician's Friend), and it is also distributed through European retailers as well...the V76t, on the other hand, is an upgraded model available thru most other MXL retailers (other than GC) in the US...based on the 9000, the V76s has higher quality (larger) caps and components, mostly sourced from higher grade Japanese manufacturers (the Japanese components are an upgrade from the stock Chinese parts)...the output circuitry has been tweaked quite extensively, while both models share the same 6 micron diaphragm...

...the most interesting issue Scott explained was the grill treatments...MXL has found that grills that have been plated (gold/silver) impart a positive influence on the microphone's sound quality (as opposed to those which are simply painted)...like the plated grills of the V67 and V69M (both gold), the V76t has a plated grill, but this time a silver plated finish was chosen...the 9000, on the other hand, has the standard painted grill...in "blind" listening tests, MXL discovered the plated grill versions were repeatedly chosen over the same models with painted grills...so the plating is not just a cosmetic improvement, but truly affects the quality of the mic's sound...

...so that's the story...both have MXL's 6 micron capsule, but it would seem that the V76t is the "better deal" (IMHO)...higher-grade components, tweaked/upgraded circuits, grill plating and a metal road case (the 9000 ships in a padded cardboard box) give the V76t the extra edge."

kidvybes said:
...well, if the SCT-2000 is really built by sE, I would probably opt for that mic...I have 2 Cascade V55 tube mics which are also built by sE for Cascade, and they are terrific...sE's quality control is more consistant these days than most of the Chinese manufacturers, and their mics get high marks in the trade reviews...it certainly looks like it is the same microphone (even the aluminum case, mount and power supply look the same)...go for the t.bone...I have had excellent results with sE's own product (my sE 2200A) and their private-label product (Cascade V55)...certainly, anything close to the Z5600 would be a big step up from the V76t...now, the V77s, that's a different story...

yeah, but the t.bone uses a B-Capsule only (that´s why they are cheap :D ) so you never now what you´re getting and i don´t have the equipment to make big shoot-outs... :o

torkay

Flatpicker said:
Good info, KV. Thanks for tracking all that down. By the way, have you seen the V67i yet?

...Wow...haven't seen that one yet!...thanks Tim for the heads-up...sounds interesting...has anyone done that dual-diaphragm "Warm/Bright" setting thing before?...

Back