MXL v69me vs MXL V67i tube

deibid

hey folks, having previously owned & been impressed with both MXL's V69me & V67g, i was wondering if anyone knows how the v69 compares to the v67i tube version?

Can't say for sure but that *warm/bright* switch has me wondering.
I have the V69me and maybe if just turning it around would produce the same effect as the switch on the 67i?

hehe, that would certainly be sneaky... i am hoping it's a V69 & V67 tube in one :) there doesn't seem to be many reviews on the v67i tube on the web, seems quite low key which surprises me considering the praise the v69 & v67g receive

Can't say for sure but that *warm/bright* switch has me wondering.
I have the V69me and maybe if just turning it around would produce the same effect as the switch on the 67i?

So, moresound, what's your impression of the V69me? I have a V67g and am thoroughly unimpressed.

So, moresound, what's your impression of the V69me? I have a V67g and am thoroughly unimpressed.

imho the v67g and v69me are entirely different mics. different voicing, different quality, etc. v69me can shine on some vocalists - it's capable of being an incredible vocal mic in the right situation with the right singer/song/production.

I can't quite put my finger on it, but it just doesn't work on my voice (not that anything does). I guess for me, dynamics in general just seem to suit me better. For all the talk about the 67g being 'dark', to me it sounds relatively bright. It's the only cardioid condenser I've ever had, so take this with the usual 80lb bag of salt. Also, my environment isn't exactly conducive to micing anything in general, so background noise and room sound are also huge issues for me. Let's just say it wasn't the magic bullet I was hoping for.

So, moresound, how would you say the two compare? Is the 69 darker, brighter, warmer, very close to being the same, or what?

the 69 has more lower mids and mid-mids (fi you know what I mean) and has a more complex HF end.

the 69 has more lower mids and mid-mids (fi you know what I mean) and has a more complex HF end.

Thanks, that's the kind of more specific info I was looking for. Sounds interesting. Would you say that the 69 is more or less sensitive than the 67, or about the same?

Thanks, that's the kind of more specific info I was looking for. Sounds interesting. Would you say that the 69 is more or less sensitive than the 67, or about the same?

I never noticed. gain on the preamp pretty much makes up for such things I find. I can't imagine the 69 being any worse than the 67 in that department, but it's also never come up before in my discussions with other engineers who use the 69. so I can't say for sure.

it has never been brought up as an issue before, so presumably it's ok at least in that regard.

the 69 is more of a true vocal mic. it's nice. very nice.

Back