MXL V-67G VS Studio projects C1 FINAL ROUND

xpurt

OKAY? enough of this bull shit..

For male Rap vocals.

Which one would have a clearer but warmer feel to it?

I'll bite - but I'm no pro by ANY means, so take this for what it's worth.

I've used both and own a V67. They are not THAT incredibly different. I recall the C1 being a little crisper, and the V67 is a bit warmer. I actually liked the sound of both - but I don't record rap, so YMMV.

It's important to note that several people with much, much more experience and better ears suggest the 67 is muddy and the C1 is too bright. So some people may tell you forget both and get a nice dynamic! (Are you there, Tubedude? Chessparov?)

On the other hand, others (Harvey Gerst among them) really love the V67, and I know many here have used the C1 without complaint.

So I guess it comes down to..... personal preference!

You said you wanted both warmth and clarity, and I fear that the answer here is that you'll get more warmth with the 67 and more clarity with the C1.

For what it's worth,

Fab

xpurt said:

Hmmm. Clearer but warmer? :D Okay, it's time for some coffee now, and I want it to be hotter but colder.

Seriously, though, the C1 will probably be clearer but the v67 will probably be warmer.

If you're not using a good mic pre, then I'd hesitate to recommend a condenser with a transformer output (particularly of the cheaper variety) like the v67. I'd give the nod to the C1 if that's the case.

OKAY? enough of this bull shit.. For male Rap vocals.

Alright, as long as you put it that way: Shure SM-7

But you should already know that since you're the Xpurt. :D

hip hop says sm7 to me. $300 used.

but the beyer m88 is also good. $150-$200 used. probably a better value.

both are mics that are good for aggressive male voices. both handle loud people and pops well.

SounB said:
But the MXL V-67G is only $99 and the C1 $199?

Yea, and based on my own experience with the two mics, I'd have to say the prices are reflective of their value. The C1 might actually be twice as good to a lot of people out there.

Listen to Eeldip on this, also. The Beyer M88 is a steal.

Had both, sold the C1, kept the 67G. The MXL mic produces usable vocals, the C1 did not.

For rap huh? An SM-58 would be my choice.

Gidge has the Peavey PVM 520i I sold him, and it's an excellent vocal/instrumental microphone. Personally prefer it to the Shure Beta series. I think it's best use vocally is in a busy mix, because it will cut through, yet won't "thin out" a vocal like a Shure Beta.
It's moderately on the bright side of neutral though, not the first one I'd think of as a "warm" dynamic mic.

Beyer's rival to the SM7, is the Beyer Soundstar MKII, you can pick one up at e-bay, usually for under $100.
Harvey loves :) this one too.
It handles pops/sibilance better than the M88 (or M88TG) BTW.
It is "warmer" in the mid-range than a M88, whereas the M88
is stronger in the bass range, and has a more accurate top end.

The Beyer M88 and Sennheiser 441 are very "condenser-like"
in tone, with excellent HF extension.
They are among the best vocal microphones in the world for
many vocalists, especially when paired with an appropriate pre,
according to a number of pro AE's.

Try to find a dealer, if possible, to try out the C1 and V67.
Due to my present knowledge of how to EQ my voice,
however, it'd be unlikely the V67 would work as well as the C1.
YMMV with different singers.

Having a quality de-esser would be a good idea, especially when
you're working with condenser microphones, as they tend to be
brighter than (most) dynamics where various singers have sibilance issues.

Chris

xpurt said:
OKAY? enough of this bull shit..

For male Rap vocals.

You need to audition them both for yourself... that's the only way you'll know which one YOU like best.

Re: Re: MXL V-67G VS Studio projects C1 FINAL ROUND

DJL said:
You need to audition them both for yourself... that's the only way you'll know which one YOU like best.

For once I actually agree with DJL. It'll be raining frogs here any minute :D

FWIW, I have both mics and prefer the C1 on my voice. My voice tends towards a gravelly, bluesy style, rather than a smooth.

Gidge or Chessparov: Is the 520 a poormans sm7?

Re: Re: Re: MXL V-67G VS Studio projects C1 FINAL ROUND

freshmattyp said:
For once I actually agree with DJL. It'll be raining frogs here any minute :D
Maybe someday I can say the same about you. :rolleyes:

Re: Re: Re: MXL V-67G VS Studio projects C1 FINAL ROUND

freshmattyp said:
Gidge or Chessparov: Is the 520 a poormans sm7?

Not either of those guys, but I think it's more of a slightly-short-of-cash-for-the-moment-man's RE-20 ?

I suspect the Peavey 520i would be much closer to an EV RE27 than a RE20, as the RE27 also has a neodymium element. Both EV's have
the patented Variable-D feature that minimizes
proximity effect in a cardiod microphone BTW.

Chris

not by anymeans promoting this song. Anyway it's been put on the back burner so here ya go.

All done with a V67g.
Male And Female ( Hip / Hop slash Rap )
Used onboard micpres (Tascam TMd4000) getting RNP or Grace once I decide which one will better suit me.
Recorded flat on all vox.
I lil low cut around 200 or so (just on the first guy) ,,, I think, cant really remember.

Miced the cab on one of the quitar tracks with it as well.
I knew nothing about micing cabs in a studio, We just threw it across the cab and let the mic lay up against the Cab.

never tried a C1 , but I own a B1. Tried it on the same song, same settings, same day, same mic position, etc.

no feedback on the song please. LOL

This post is for a V67 ( rap ) reference.

here is a link
http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/42/slank_and_boogie.html

Malcolm

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Re: MXL V-67G VS Studio projects C1 FINAL ROUND

DJL said:
Maybe someday I can say the same about you. :rolleyes:

And here I thought you had me on ignore. Oh well, different strokes, etc.

Chessrock and parov:

Thanks for the info on the Peavey. I've been wanting to dip my toe into the world of large dynamics, and the price looks right on this one.

Hey Malcolm,

Just listened to "Practice" . . .

and as ashamed as I am to admit it, I think I actually used that line once in a while in my college days. :D Good stuff!

chessrock said:
Hey Malcolm,

Just listened to "Practice" . . .

and as ashamed as I am to admit it, I think I actually used that line once in a while in my college days. :D Good stuff!

Thnx Chess.

Hey, based on what you heard and what I posted as far as how the vox were tracked and sound, if you had a choice would you go with a RNP or a Grace 101,, just by listening to that one song,,, if thats possible?

Malcolm

malcolm123 said:
Hey, based on what you heard and what I posted as far as how the vox were tracked and sound, if you had a choice would you go with a RNP or a Grace 101,, just by listening to that one song,,, if thats possible?

I don't think it would make a whole lot of difference. Just get the best you can afford. I'd probably look at a better mic before I worried about shelling out that kind of scratch on a mic pre . . . but that's just me.

Back