MXL Shotgun mics: FR-300/303/304

Three very different mics, depending on your Modus Operand for the video project. While I have not used the MXL's personally, I could see the 303 being useful perhaps as a table-top mic for interviews, but not much else. Definitely not outdoor work with a shotgun that short. The 304 looks a little more robust.

I can vouch for the RODE NTG microphones, as I use them for voiceover work (as do many of my colleagues). The NTG-1 and NTG-2 are the same mic capsule - The difference being the NTG-2 uses a AA battery for power; the NTG-1 uses phantom power.

Three very different mics, depending on your Modus Operand for the video project. While I have not used the MXL's personally, I could see the 303 being useful perhaps as a table-top mic for interviews, but not much else. Definitely not outdoor work with a shotgun that short. The 304 looks a little more robust.

I can vouch for the RODE NTG microphones, as I use them for voiceover work (as do many of my colleagues). The NTG-1 and NTG-2 are the same mic capsule - The difference being the NTG-2 uses a AA battery for power; the NTG-1 uses phantom power.

Thanks for your thoughts. The primary project is a low-budget camcorder piece. Both indoor and outdoor recording. I'd probably need something battery powered, or that could run off the mic in on the camcorder (a Sony).

Outdoor recording is a different animal. Fake fur / deadcats / zeppelin type rigs help. But only remove part of the wind noise. Where I live, I've got DIY fur covers that I've basically layered three times for the fur, plus the foams that come with the mics and some beefy after market foams. And even with that I still get some wind noise. The commercial ones are fine if light breezes are all you'll be dealing with. But not really suitable for all conditions.

You might also consider one of the beachtek or juicedlink microphone preamps. They attach to the 1/4" thread between the camcorder and tripod and allow you use phantom powered mics. So no real need to limit yourself if you've got some money to sink into it. A zoom H4 or H2 or H4n might also come in handy for roughly the same cash. Rode mics seems to be the more common mention with regards to video work. But to each their own.

Back