MXL Drum Cube Pro

cecerre

Anyone had a chance to use any of these? They are a new model of the 'Cube' from what I have read. I really like the specs but specs don't mean a thing if they don't work.

Thanks -PC

Wait a minute!!!!! Your talking about a new cube microphone from MXL "the PRO" right!!!!!

Gotta have that one too!!!!!

Oooooooooooooooo .................... looks purdy HERE

Ya, PRO, the new model. 99 bucks at GC or MusFrNd. The specs are very promising for a real nice inexpensive set of LD condensors. Wondering if anyone has any hands on with them yet..

Looks interesting, love using a MXL V63M for drum overheads, looks to be the same capsule, dunno if you'd really want to mic a bass drum tho.

Used these for recording over head last week. Need to take some time to really tweak them out but I do like the over all response. Looks like a decent home recording solution at $99.00 each. I got a pair of them, built well, mount is on the cheap side. Comes with a nice little pouch. Can't absolutely be sure they will take the place of my cheap f15's but They have a lot of potential for vocals and I am thinking guitar. I agree, a kick might be a bit too much unless its placed a few inches away, I wouldn't stick it inside the kick. All in all, sounds pretty good right out of the box and for live sound, these fit the bill perfect imo. If your expectations are in line, I don't think anyone will be disappointed at $99.00.

A cube? A box around a capsule? Great marketing gimmick but poor acoustical choice.

Just think for a moment what makes a nice acoustical environment to record or mix music in - non square, non parallel, unequal wall / floor / ceiling dimensions - perhaps some angled surfaces. All serve to reduce standing wave build up and uneven distribution of reflected sound.

Same is true in a microphone headbasket.

This is why Neumann evolved from the U 47 style to the M 49 / U 67 / U 87 style headbasket - to reduce standing wave coloration. btw - ever see a square Neumann mic?

So perhaps "the Cube" is a fine "effect" mic - but be prepared to deal with its boxy sound.

A cube? A box around a capsule? Great marketing gimmick but poor acoustical choice.

Just think for a moment what makes a nice acoustical environment to record or mix music in - non square, non parallel, unequal wall / floor / ceiling dimensions - perhaps some angled surfaces. All serve to reduce standing wave build up and uneven distribution of reflected sound.

Same is true in a microphone headbasket.

This is why Neumann evolved from the U 47 style to the M 49 / U 67 / U 87 style headbasket - to reduce standing wave coloration. btw - ever see a square Neumann mic?

So perhaps "the Cube" is a fine "effect" mic - but be prepared to deal with its boxy sound.

Hello Michael. Great to see that you had survived the hurricane.

Ladys and gentlemen for the benefit for all of the newbies here at HR let me introduce Michael Joly - owner of OktavaMod.

Looking at The Cube - I don't even think that the body is a sufficient platform for a modded headbasket or can you foresee something that will work and hopefully you can have available.

Square mic grille's, round planets, what has this universe come to : P Must a got lucky with my mic'ing technique...

AmpFail.jpg

Back