MXL 990 Mod Comparison/Shootout

The wording in that first post on the groupdiy thread makes it sound like the 990 and 991 share the same circuitry. I just tracked down mine. I've got two 990s and two 991s on the way back here. I'll be removing the grills like shown here, and I'm mainly interested to see if the resonance can be eliminated or at least tamed to inaudibility. Like the OP said - these mics are so cheap, there's not much to lose. If nothing else, might learn some stuff... I wanna play, too! :D

When are you doing the electronics mod?

I've got several MXLs here, but those were in San Antonio, and now in a closet in Austin, apparently. There's a few people around TX I share gear with here and there. Everybody who's used my 99*s has ultimately just shelved them, from what im hearing. Same complaint - unusable (or at least unreliable / time wasting to even try) on just about every source because of the resonance (with various "colorful" descriptions, lol).

I've heard rumors of your collection... Idk how many iterations the rumors have been through, lol, but im quite certain if they're anywhere near accurate, I have no intention of ever having that many mics :p.

Sooooo... How many do you have?

And no I haven't... I dont know that dude and I find it difficult to nail down what exactly he does. Do you know of a good source (like the kind you can find for CLA) that specifies his exact role for his credits?

I lose count of my microphones around the 400 mark or so. Many of the same though for I have multiples of the old faithfuls in multiple live sound set ups. Then all of the studio microphones

Yea....400, lol. I have like...maybe 60? And that's also including lavaliers, little electret condensers, drum mics and 57s/58s (mics I've bought several of a for live situations, is all I mean). 400+ is... Fuckin hardcore, dude :D

Also - lol @ Bobby answering basically the question I asked you 1 minute after I asked it. I can't think of anything to ask him...

Yea....400, lol. I have like...maybe 60? And that's also including lavaliers, little electret condensers, drum mics and 57s/58s (mics I've bought several of a for live situations, is all I mean). 400+ is... Fuckin hardcore, dude :D

Yeah I think the most of any one microphone that I own is the SM57 -- 29 now I think.

Word. If you're doing live sound you really can't have too many 57s. Your 400 mic collection is worthy of its own thread... You should start one called "why I bought each of my 400+ microphones". Seriously. That's an unusually high number, even among the bigger studios I've worked at - I think it would almost certainly grab a sticky and give some good insight into a wide variety of mics and their relative usefulness since you can directly compare such a large number of them.

Or if you dont wanna come off as like... arrogant or weird or something (which you toooootally would with a thread titled like that) I'll start it and ask you to answer, lol :p

What is that *Demand it* on your myspace?
I've seen it before on others and it says, in your case, Bring casper to Manchester NH.

I understood that ;)

HERE is what you want I believe.

If my memory serves me right the 990 and the 603 have the same circuitry.

There are a few different parts on those websites that fit those descriptions, and I don't know enough to choose the right one. Is there any way you could take a look and suggest the correct part numbers? If you're familiar, that is.

I've attached a few mod files I've gathered. I don't have a 990, but I've read they have the same circuit as the MCA SP-1, MXL 2006 and many others. Some of the mods require you to re-bias the FET. I have a 2006 and plan to swap capsule and try the "direct connect" mod, and then the FET mod when ever I get a 'scope.

Shameless plug: I have OEM K47 & C12 style 34mm capsules for sale in the classifieds.

Attachments

• GenChinaMic.pdf
    24.1 KB · Views: 224
  • GenChinaMod.pdf
    24.8 KB · Views: 177
  • GenMCAMic.txt
    938 bytes · Views: 142
  • GenMXL990.txt
    1.1 KB · Views: 166
  • Modified schema SP-1 = MXL990.GIF
    Modified schema SP-1 = MXL990.GIF
    61.3 KB · Views: 322
Thanks for posting the info, but that's a little beyond me. Basically I know how to use a soldering iron, and that's the extent of my electronics skills. I would really need instructions that say "put this here, and here's where you get it". If I can't figure out how to even obtain the parts by myself, maybe I shouldn't be messing around with the circuit. I'm confident I could swap the capsule though. I'm PMing you about your shameless plug.

It's quite simple Potsy. reference that diagram above to the Gus' link that I sent you find C3 C4 and C13 and switch them out for the .22uf Metal Film Panasonic caps from Digikey on C3 and C4 then the .22uf Metal Film Panasonic caps from Digikey on C13.

Once you have the diagram and microphone all in front of you you'll catch on very quickly. ;)

Again, thanks for your help guys. The problem that I'm running into is that Digikey sells like 15 different .22uf metal film capacitors. There are 5 or 6 that are 50V. Is this the one I need: ECQ-V1H224JL Panasonic - ECG | P4667-ND | DigiKey?

And I can't find exactly what they're talking about on Mouser either. Is it one of these?
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Xicon/23PW210/?qs=LLoUvApQnRRnC%252bkLJjjCjuMyTJAw%2f9PqNHuXoLty5%2fM%3d
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Xicon/23PS210/?qs=QmZ6x9MYSix49ywO%252b09MZwpeeqUbx942RHPYFhMJKbo%3d

Back