MXL 960, now with Peluso capsule

cek89s

I did manage to find one ata site called www.zenproaudio.com/mods.aspx
It is there for $120 plus a small shipping cost. Just ordered it and a NOS telefunken tube. I am very excited to see the difference it makes in my recordings. I will take everybodys word for it but I want to hear it with my own ears. Thanks for everyones help.

A little clarification for any one interested in the process
(which is probably nobody ;) )

BTW, the thickness of the gold isn't that big an issue. You have to understand that so long as it conducts and the capacitance is where it should be, its fine.

Sputtering is a means of depositing gold on the mylar or PVC in a method similar to spray painting. It means the gold is put on in a kind of lumpy manner. This can effect transients.

This part is not so, sputtering is a vacuum coating process, generally superior to vapour deposition in terms of film quality, uniformity and thickness control.
Used in semiconductor and hard drive head manufacture (and other things)
You will see 'sputtered' in advertising blurb but most capsules are vapour deposited which is 'quick and dirty' by comparison but plenty good enough for mics. (sputtering machines are a good bit more expensive than evaporators)

If the diaphragm's gold is vapor deposited (by evaporating the gold in a vacuum chamber) the gold layer is smoother and the result is better sound. Almost always with vapor deposited diaphragms the gold looks translucent or even green.

See above, but the colour tint is indeed a result of the gold film thickness.
Different thickness, different colour, like the colours in oil on water.
Thicker films will look gold, but like Philgood said, it just has to conduct, the thickness doesn't make too much difference untill it gets too thick, say more than a micron or so.

Ok, you can stop snoring now :o
back to the topic

Back