mxl 603 vs beyerdynamic opus53 vs earthworks sr77 vs schoeps m221b

monty teebaum

today i recorded some percussion with this 4 mic types.
you can find the files here:
http://www.biobonsai.com/Small_Condensers/
all mics are small diagram condensers, but not the same type.

-the mxl 603 is 3/4" & wide caroid, the price is less than $100.-!

-the beyerdynamic opus 53 is a very small electret condenser (caroid) for less than $150.-

-the sr77 is a 1/4" electret condenser (caroid) with a price around $450.-

-the schoeps (telefunken) m221b is a tube 1/2" caroid (with switch to omni), 50 years old.

the bongo we record in stereo with orft-technic (schoeps not, i have just 1 piece), the other things are mono.

for a good comparing i would put the files to a sequencer & play the stuff in loops with "solo".

have fun :)

monty teebaum said:
today i recorded some percussion with this 4 mic types.
you can find the files here:
http://www.biobonsai.com/Small_Condensers/
all mics are small diagram condensers, but not the same type.

-the mxl 603 is 3/4" & wide caroid, the price is less than $100.-!

-the beyerdynamic opus 53 is a very small electret condenser (caroid) for less than $150.-

-the sr77 is a 1/4" electret condenser (caroid) with a price around $450.-

-the schoeps (telefunken) m221b is a tube 1/2" caroid (with switch to omni), 50 years old.

the bongo we record in stereo with orft-technic (schoeps not, i have just 1 piece), the other things are mono.

for a good comparing i would put the files to a sequencer & play the stuff in loops with "solo".

have fun :)
nobody have something to write about this comparing?

I am in the midst of patiently downloading the files. :D

I will report back soon...

Isaiah

Thank you, monty teebaum, for giving me the opportunity
to hear MXL 603 that I plan to buy several of in the near future.
It seems to perform just OK.
Fine if it`s a bit rounded in the top - just what I want. Many modern condensers sound too bright to my ears. I have three
V67G that I like a lot. Marshall gives me the opportunity to invest
in mics quite cheaply.
Ola
Norway

I didn't download all the samples, but I seem to like the Earthworks a lot... The Schoeps sounded good to me, too. The 603s did a nice job, but it sounded less controlled to me, whereas the Earthworks almost sounded like they had a hint of compression...really smooth sound.

Isaiah

Prism said:
I didn't download all the samples, but I seem to like the Earthworks a lot... The Schoeps sounded good to me, too. The 603s did a nice job, but it sounded less controlled to me, whereas the Earthworks almost sounded like they had a hint of compression...really smooth sound.

Isaiah
for a mic under $100.- the mxl603 sound awesome.
the earthworks sr77 is much more presice, but the price is 5 times higher than the mxl & somethimes you don't need a precise sound, but the "vintage sound" of the 603.
i love my earthworks, but i like the mxl603 a a different taste.
the m221b is outstanding also, its great for sax, clarinet, female voice, a lot stuff :)

Back