mxl 2001 behringer b1 i have both

wang191

I have a behringer b1 at my schools studio (just something cheap for voice overs) and I have a mxl2001 at home for my use. The mxl was the first mic i bought. I saw it had some decent reviews over behringer products but I find that the b1 is a better sounding mic. The vocals are very rich and warm. THey also have some nice top end to them.

Just wondering if anyone else found this to be true. I'm not one to like behringer products but this mic is pretty good.

On my voice, the B1 is definitely not warm. Harsh or shrill would be more accurate. Never used the mxl. I have had great results using the B1 on kick drum though.

wang191 said:
I have a behringer b1 at my schools studio (just something cheap for voice overs) and I have a mxl2001 at home for my use. The mxl was the first mic i bought. I saw it had some decent reviews over behringer products but I find that the b1 is a better sounding mic. The vocals are very rich and warm. THey also have some nice top end to them.

Just wondering if anyone else found this to be true. I'm not one to like behringer products but this mic is pretty good.

The MXL 2001 sounds a bit like a behringer B1 with lower headroom and a nasty "rigid" high end I'd say. I've owned both at one point and still support the behringer B1 against other mics in it's price range.

The B1 is the only LDC I own. I use it on my voice and I like it. I also use it as an overhead for drums.
I'm not saying that I have tried everything and the B1 ended up being the best. It was a good deal at the time so I bought it and I make it work for me.
I don't find it to be harsh. If I did I would roll off some of the high end. I pretty much record flat and it does fine.
It's a good mic for the modest home studio. If you are a gear snob do not buy this mic, there are plenty of expensive name brand mics to spend your money on. :D

Back