MuZQ, Note based EQ

pipelineaudio

1091017112046-FX-track-5-Main-Guitar.png

Pretty much self explanatory. I always wanted one of these and now I got it!

Added to the DrummyQ bundle at http://pipelineaudio.net/drummyq.html

Interesting. How do you know which octave/freq of that pitch you're eq'ing?

Did you make it yourself? So you're essentially just trying to eq the fundamentals of the notes in a particular riff?

Yup, made it myself, finally learning to code.

A lot of the plugins I want are so specific, with such limited appeal, that it is hard to convince people to build them, so its just time for me to learn.

The octave thing I need to deal with. The lows are at the top starting from C1. I need to think of a way to mark that off to avoid confusion. Any suggestions?

The lows are at the top starting from C1. I need to think of a way to mark that off to avoid confusion. Any suggestions?

You could write C1 at the top :). C9 at the bottom? Possibly the corresponding cycle next to each the C1,C2,etc.

Your plug in idea has given me another idea. Here's an idea that will make you RICH! Well... we'll see.

Say you have a vocal tuner that can track pitch and export a midi file. Then import the midi file into Pipelines nicEQ. The pitches detected on the midi will trigger your eq to add the desired gain to that midi pitch as the clip plays. You can also decide how much to eq the frequencies that aren't effected by the midi pitches. You following?

Don't know exactly how this would sound, if it would be musical or not. It might help a vocal cut through the mix more because it's not taking up as much space and cluttering (if you were to subtractive eq where you didn't need). I dont know alright, just brainstorming! I suppose this can be done with your plug if you took it note by note and edited, maybe that way you could try it out.

Either way, I'm gonna try your plug. It's interesting. Never been done before? I admire the ambition..:)

Eric

You could write C1 at the top :). C9 at the bottom? Possibly the corresponding cycle next to each the C1,C2,etc.

Your plug in idea has given me another idea. Here's an idea that will make you RICH! Well... we'll see.

Say you have a vocal tuner that can track pitch and export a midi file. Then import the midi file into Pipelines nicEQ. The pitches detected on the midi will trigger your eq to add the desired gain to that midi pitch as the clip plays. You can also decide how much to eq the frequencies that aren't effected by the midi pitches. You following?

Don't know exactly how this would sound, if it would be musical or not. It might help a vocal cut through the mix more because it's not taking up as much space and cluttering (if you were to subtractive eq where you didn't need). I dont know alright, just brainstorming! I suppose this can be done with your plug if you took it note by note and edited, maybe that way you could try it out.

Either way, I'm gonna try your plug. It's interesting. Never been done before? I admire the ambition..:)

Eric

Thanks! Lots of food for thought!

If I do like C1 and C2 and such, the download will be about 7 megs. You think that's too big?

I used the WDL/iPlug framework for this plugin so that I would be able to do mac and 64 bit versions easier. Not to mention how well iplug stuff seems to be running in different hosts.

Thanks! Lots of food for thought!
It can be the new autotune eq! Pitch it now to Antares and Waves before they take credit :rolleyes:;)

If I do like C1 and C2 and such, the download will be about 7 megs. You think that's too big?

I dont have much of a gripe with 7mb at all. But I could really care less how big of a download it is. I'm using it on Reaper. The little gain faders don't even work for me. The way I change the gain is through using the letter as a knob/pot. Did you intend both ways to work? If you're concerned with keeping the size small, you could remove either the gain fader or the notes gain knob/pot.

I used the WDL/iPlug framework for this plugin so that I would be able to do mac and 64 bit versions easier. Not to mention how well iplug stuff seems to be running in different hosts.

Wish I understood your technical jargon. Writing plug's always seemed appealing to me but I doubt I could actually make something sound better. Plus, I'm trying to learn enough things at once already. For now, I'll stay a critic :).

Whats the main goal of your note based EQ? What are it's most useful applications? What inspired you to create it?

Eric

The little gain faders don't even work for me. The way I change the gain is through using the letter as a knob/pot. Did you intend both ways to work? If you're concerned with keeping the size small, you could remove either the gain fader or the notes gain knob/pot.

The little faders are for Q controls, the knobs are gain. I need to put markers on that better.

I had the plugin at 800x800 with a lot more description on it, but people were screaming bloody murder about it being so big. This GUI is certainly still a work in progress.

Whats the main goal of your note based EQ? What are it's most useful applications? What inspired you to create it?

Mostly all three of these plugs I made were for really specific problems. I was going to make a note based one with just 12 bands to deal with the first few frets on a bass guitar, but then I remembered how much note centers were used in mastering, and then figured the range was going to be too low for other uses people might have, like dealing with specific thin vocal notes or guitars, so I just made it cover the whole range.

Mostly all three of these plugs I made were for really specific problems. I was going to make a note based one with just 12 bands to deal with the first few frets on a bass guitar, but then I remembered how much note centers were used in mastering, and then figured the range was going to be too low for other uses people might have, like dealing with specific thin vocal notes or guitars, so I just made it cover the whole range.

So it's more for corrective eq? Like when a resonance rings out in a microphone on a certain note?

You said when you had a 800x800 interface.... Why not put a little pdf in the zip with a description of uses and functions. As of right now, especially with that plug you're kinda on your own. Not that it was that difficult to figure out, just a thought.

When I first started using it I wanted to ask you what the q was set for each pitch. How important is it to have a q setting for this? Wouldn't a narrow fixed q that applied to about the distance to the neighboring notes be sufficient? Then you could turn to other eq's for the broader q eq'ing.

If I'm just pestering you please tell me haha. Again, I love the ambition..

I usually assume that when someone is going to be using an eq like this on dealing with specific notes, theyre probably going to want a fairly wide q when boosting, in order to smooth the transitionbetween the weak note at the center and the stronger notes surrounding them. But at the same time, if they are trying to ditch a single boomer like on a bass guitar, theyre going to want a pretty narrow Q. I figure the Q control will get handier and handier the more people use this.

I will have a different GUI screenshot up later, and maybe itll be easier to deal with

Back