Muttley, Light, anyone with an opinion!

metalhead28

Hates Raymond
I want to build a set neck version of this neck-thru that I built a while back.

I'm looking at the size of the neck joint. If I were to use the full width of the neck and extend it to the edge of the pickup cavity, I'm thinking it would be plenty strong - provided there was enough thickness under the pickup.

What do you think?

neck-tenon.jpg

That should be plenty, I've done them with less. The key is how well cut the joint is. You want to get good wood on wood contact on all surfaces. Not to tight and no slop. If you really worried you can get a dovetail in there.

I know when you said "opinion" you probably meant "educated opinion," but... :D

...why? That thing looks absolutely hot with the neck blank coming through the body. I think for cosmetic reasons alone, I'd prefer to leave it as is.

I know when you said "opinion" you probably meant "educated opinion," but... :D

...why? That thing looks absolutely hot with the neck blank coming through the body. I think for cosmetic reasons alone, I'd prefer to leave it as is.

:D I'm not talking about modifying this one, I'm going to build another with the same body shape - but with a set neck.

That should be plenty, I've done them with less. The key is how well cut the joint is. You want to get good wood on wood contact on all surfaces. Not to tight and no slop. If you really worried you can get a dovetail in there.

Thanks.
It makes me feel a little better to have someone confirm my opinions. :D

Oh, I know, but I like how that one looks so much, I don't see the point! :D

Job well done though, dude. :D

I've spoken to several people already who don't like the exposed neck wood running down the center. Plus, a set neck version will be a lot simpler to build.
:D

Really? I would have thought a neck-through would be the easier build. But what do I know? :confused: :o

BTW, I think that guitar is very nice looking. :)

The short neck will be a little easier to work with, and I can do all the work to the body, including carving the top, before the neck is attached. That will cure a lot of headaches that I went through with this last one!

Back