Must we die for the right to freedom?

GazEcc

mBallstát atá tiomanta
"oh say can you see?".. la la la "home of the free and the land of the brave"

Alright you may retake your seats thank you the simpsons for teaching me that much of (what i think is) the American anthem, but on a serious note I've been quietly watching world politics and protests of late and am glad to see so many [strike]hippies[/strike] [strike]young activists[/strike] [strike]people[/strike]... f**k it hippies standing up for what the rest of aren't brave enough to. the sheer amount of authority we give to our governments and what they end up doing to us.

The whole occupy movement even made it to Dublins Dame Street (our wall street lol) and gained some momentum, we have a pot smoking rep in our gvt now but the whole wikipedia thing today scared me, can the american gvt really try to shut down sites? (thinks back to wikileaks incident. Many years ago we were given a free and open platform of discussion and creation, we called it the web and now they want to censor what is available?

I'm a firm believer that we control ourselfs and that if we have sites that host pirate music / software etc they should be there for those who CHOOSE to use them for illegal reasons. and don't forget there are legitimate reasons for them aswell after all I once lost a video game cd and had the box with the license was able to download it and use my own license so it wasn't theft it was basically a backup. I've ironically since found the cd. But the takedown and censoring of ANY kind of website is like closing down a car showroom to remove the possibility of cars being stolen, do re really want OUR internet to become just like traditional media? Censored, Biased, Controlled, and the Tool of gvt spin doctors to incite hate and fear of the world around us?

We have embraced the internet as a free open source of opinion sharing, akin to the fora of ancient rome. we can't let it be stolen from us. And if ever such a bill is called to form in Ireland, I'll be the crazy guy making a speech on the steps of leinster house against it.

Another point, what about internet service providers? I can already see the ads on telly if shit like this passes, akin to satellite tv;

"Get unlimited Broadband €19.99 a month, facebook, youtube and google for an extra €10 a month each"

But Everyone at HR please don't pull a Wikipedia, no HR and no free open internet Makes Gaz Something something (yes another simpsons quote)

I'm totally against SOPA/PIPA and I've been signing a bunch of petitions, contacting representatives, etc. to try to stop it.

I accidentally walked onto the grounds of Leinster House once before a guard stopped me. Funnily enough I never failed to notice the US Capitol to the same extent . . .

Back