Musical Direction

Nugagerube

I recently got into electronica music. So I decided I would attempt to make a few electronica songs. I was wondering peoples opinions on the music and what I should do differently or something. Keep in mind it is low quality recording on audacity (free music software) I am going to soon get proper recording equipment but I just want opinions on my music so I am not going totally off base with my musical endeavours.

Attachments

• The Rhetoric Of Silence Final Version.mp3
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
  • Eagle Nebula for Bright Eyes mp3.mp3
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
I recently got into electronica music. So I decided I would attempt to make a few electronica songs. I was wondering peoples opinions on the music and what I should do differently or something. Keep in mind it is low quality recording on audacity (free music software) I am going to soon get proper recording equipment but I just want opinions on my music so I am not going totally off base with my musical endeavours.

It may be best if you have this moved to the MP3 clinic by a moderator.
That is what it is there for and more people will be there just for that purpose. :D

:cool:

It may be best if you have this moved to the MP3 clinic by a moderator.
That is what it is there for and more people will be there just for that purpose. :D

Well I posted a post on the mp3 clinic yesterday and noone answered. It doesn't get many views I noticed. So i posted it here. It isn't so much for people to hear my music but to critique it and tell me if i am going in the right direction.

. So i posted it here. It isn't so much for people to hear my music but to critique it and tell me if i am going in the right direction.

Isn't that really up to you?
For everyone who tells you your headed in the wrong direction you'll find at least as many who'll tell you it's right

It's YOUR music so YOU need to decide "do I want to make music that is true to myself or do I want to make music based on what I think other people want."

If it's the former then ask YOURSELF are you headed in the right musical direction and tweak accordingly.
If it's the latter then get ready for at least as much rejection as acceptance because you can't please all of the people all of the time.

Isn't that really up to you?
For everyone who tells you your headed in the wrong direction you'll find at least as many who'll tell you it's right

It's YOUR music so YOU need to decide "do I want to make music that is true to myself or do I want to make music based on what I think other people want."

If it's the former then ask YOURSELF are you headed in the right musical direction and tweak accordingly.
If it's the latter then get ready for at least as much rejection as acceptance because you can't please all of the people all of the time.

Well all this heeds in insignificance in light of the fact that twice now noone has "critiqued" my music.

Last edited:
1) The sound of the synth is so so. It sounds a little cheesy in spots. I think it's the organ effect that could use change.
2) It sounds like "movie music" - my wife's exact words.
3) I agree it's got a lot of variety and avoids that predictability that you find in pop music. That's keeps it interesting.
It's electronica in the fact that it's done on a synth. It's more sophisticated than pop so it deserves a different description.
Good job.....

1) The sound of the synth is so so. It sounds a little cheesy in spots. I think it's the organ effect that could use change.
2) It sounds like "movie music" - my wife's exact words.
3) I agree it's got a lot of variety and avoids that predictability that you find in pop music. That's keeps it interesting.
It's electronica in the fact that it's done on a synth. It's more sophisticated than pop so it deserves a different description.
Good job.....

I dont have a synth so I use the synth setting on my digital piano and layer it with other sounds on my piano. I also recorded the bass line on my piano. lol. And thank you for your opinion. I was going for Modern day Brian Eno.

One of Enos big hits *babys on fire*......have drive like that.
If you want to be more modern day Brian Eno as you stated. ;)

O ha-ha my bad. I was thinking more of his "background" music stuff. Like Music for Airports and stuff. Such as what one person's wife said "it sounds like movie music."

I myself, am into making electronic music.
I think you're on the right path,..but if you really want some feedback and / or opinions,..I would texturize it a little more.
Layer your synth sounds, and don't be afraid to add some tube warmth, and effects to your synth sounds. I use all hardware synths, and record to tape for a much warmer and fatter sounding recording.:D
and if you decide to use any type of drum machine, or software beats in the future...There's a little trick you can use to make your beats NOT sound like a machine: Record your bass and snare beats, and then record your "hihat hits" on a real set of hihats, not the ones in your computer. Same for the Ride hits.
This will give your beats a whole new feeling.
I like the mechanical sound of a drum machine myself, because I'm into making Hardcore Industrial sounding electronic music..but some applications, can really do without that mechanical feel.
Just figured I throw that out there for you, for future reference.
I gotta admitt your composition almost had me fallin' asleep.
Don't know if that's the sound you're after, or if it just came out sounding that way.
All in all,..I give you a B- for just startin' into a new musical direction.:cool:
Keep it goin', you'll be surprised how much your music will change in a matter of 3 months of playing/recording electronic music. :D

Well all this heeds in insignificance in light of the fact that twice now noone has "critiqued" my music.
Well, I'm very eager to listen and throw in some ideas because my passion is Electronica but please - be aware that it's not good form to attach files like this. Regardless of whether you should post in the MP3 Clinic or not, what you should be doing is uploading the files to a sound reviewing site, such as Sound Click, YouTube or something similar.

It's not downloading for me, it seems to be taking ages. Besides, you shouldn't expect a complete stranger to want to download your one and a half meg files to their personal drives (although I did try!).

It's not that we don't want to listen and it's not that I have any particular objection to downloading one or two files but if everyone did that, we'd be downloading every Tom, Dick & Harry's large files to our personal hard drives and if that became the norm, you can imagine what the implications of that might be...

Go on - open a Sound Click account and let's have a listen on the fly, eh? It's possible more people will review it, under such conditions. Happy to help here...

Dr. V

Back