Music Xray

andrushkiwt

So, has anyone used or heard of this site? Small fees (couple of $'s) to submit music to various postings of companies looking for music. Some are big (Warner etc...), some are small independent labels, some are for commercials, etc...

I have signed up, but am a little weary of paying $ to submit music for opportunities. For all I know, the postings can be fake or illegitimate. I didn't see any conversations going in this forum about things like Music Xray or Taxi...so, I'd like to ask what some of the veterans here think of those places. Of course, those sites have their "success stories" sections, but who knows exactly how accurate, or real even, those are.

Never heard of Music Xray...but TAXI provides a full refund option if I recall...so if they don't place any of your music for the year, you can get you money back.

Of course...they may place your music as background tracks for a cat litter commercial...and if you refuse, then they are not obligated to refund your money. :)

Never heard of Music Xray...but TAXI provides a full refund option if I recall...so if they don't place any of your music for the year, you can get you money back.

Of course...they may place your music as background tracks for a cat litter commercial...and if you refuse, then they are not obligated to refund your money. :)

ah, good to know. Someone else advised me to check out Taxi. I think I scrammed after I saw the $299 yearly fee. But if there's a refund, maybe I'll check it out further. Music for movies and games and the like is usually very specific though- "160-180 tempo with male vocals and modern feel, a plus if you use the word "heaven", nothing somber or dark"

Made that up, but you get the idea. It seems like those are the types of things you create music for after reading, not create first and then try to match it up. Chances are narrowed that way, i'd think.

thanks for the reply Miroslav

Xray does work - had a couple of tracks in the last few selections for some TV/Film spots. Didn't make the grade but the clients were happy to give detailed feedback on why they didn't quite make it (actually knew what they were talking about too, pointed out some shortcomings in my mixes that I hadn't spotted myself).

All the spots are anonymous unless you get in, kinda necessary as most of the stuff they offer is still in pre-production.

The reviewing/promotions side, I'm not so sure on. Most of the reviews are from really small labels/businesses who hire in reviewers and promote on social media/websites, not people with actual clout, though I have seen a few.

Disclaimer: the account isn't mine, it belongs to a local label I sometimes work with but I'm familiar with the process.

a little weary of paying $ to submit music for opportunities.

"Weary" as in "tired" or as in "wary/leery"?

So I googled "music xray"
Hit #1 is their homepage.
Hit #2 is ripoffreport.com - not a good look
Hit #3 is their own blog post explaining why they're not a scam. - also not a good look

I think for musicians its probably not the right service - iv seen it in the context of a label trying to get exposure for their artists and it works. Some of the stuff iv worked on personally has radio play in weird places (latin america and spain) as a result but im not sold on it for artists themselves.

Its hard to justify a membership fee without a reasonable and constantly expanding portfolio to submit.

Last edited:
"Weary" as in "tired" or as in "wary/leery"?

Honestly, both! The avenues for exposure as a solo musician writing full band material are limited. And yeah, they do seem to defend themselves quite a bit for a company who is so sure they aren't setting people up for failure.

I think for musicians its probably not the right service - iv seen it in the context of a label trying to get exposure for their artists and it works. Some of the stuff iv worked on personally has radio play in weird places (latin america and spain) as a result but im not sold on it for artists themselves.

Its hard to justify a membership fee without a reasonable and constantly expanding portfolio to submit.

I see. I think I'll give another look at Taxi. Thanks for the input Jake.

Back