Music industry changes?

So, Taylor has become the world's biggest star. But what effect has it had on the majority of the industry? If anything, it's putting measures out to prevent "Taylorization", e.g., the re-recording of older songs.

I heard forums is good place to find hidden information known by industry professionals.
I see -- that's true! But only a few of us on this board are "industry professionals", most of us do music as a side hustle or just a hobby. For this reason, we'll often post hundreds of comments on topics like this without actually getting anywhere. I'm personally quite new to the "music industry" (and only rate as a "side hustler" as mentioned) so I'm not very well educated on recent changes. If you're looking for a more concise answer to your question, I'd recommend Gearspace.com -- don't worry, you'll get plenty of debatable opinions there too.

Anyhoooo... don't let all that scare you, and welcome to the forum!

They are - but you've got to explain what you actually want to know.
The music industry continually changes - but when you say 'recording industry' we don't know how to answer?
We could talk about the changes to the way artists are paid, how new platforms have changed the way music is consumed, and all sorts - but you've got to give us a clue? Otherwise it sounds like a school essay question.

They are - but you've got to explain what you actually want to know.
The music industry continually changes - but when you say 'recording industry' we don't know how to answer?
We could talk about the changes to the way artists are paid, how new platforms have changed the way music is consumed, and all sorts - but you've got to give us a clue? Otherwise it sounds like a school essay question.
I am doing research on any changes.

I see -- that's true! But only a few of us on this board are "industry professionals", most of us do music as a side hustle or just a hobby. For this reason, we'll often post hundreds of comments on topics like this without actually getting anywhere. I'm personally quite new to the "music industry" (and only rate as a "side hustler" as mentioned) so I'm not very well educated on recent changes. If you're looking for a more concise answer to your question, I'd recommend Gearspace.com -- don't worry, you'll get plenty of debatable opinions there too.

Anyhoooo... don't let all that scare you, and welcome to the forum!
Thanks!

I really don't think the last 2-3 years has made much of a change in the music industry in terms of making or selling music.. Streaming is still the prime area for consumption, the same basic digital systems have been in use for years, much of the music is being assembled as it has been for the past 10 years. The only thing that seems to have changed is that you have a few massive artists who are providing most of the money... Taylor Swift, Beyonce, Drake, Ed Sheeren, Weeknd come to mind. Big tour productions have become the norm, and the price of concerts that were once in the $5-10 range are now $150 to $1500 range. It's controlled by a few companies, primarily Live Nation, and the tie in with Ticketmaster and the rise of ticket resellers has made the system even worse for the concert goer.

Artists are cashing out... Many have realized that they can sell their catalogs for hundreds of millions to various groups, private equity firms, publishing companies, etc.

The tectonic shifts in recording are usually in steps... moving from stereo to multitracking, moving from analog to digital, moving from instruments to samples, and the emergence of higher quality tools in the home market, and the ability to write/record/distribute music without involving a record/publishing company, distributers etc.

There's a wealth of information here, but in many cases you need to be more specific. What type of information are you seeking? Equipment recommendations? Studio design?

If you want broaden your horizon, check out some conversations like this one with Rick Beato.

If it's research for school, college or university - the context the question was set in is really important. With my ex-teacher hat on, if your teachers or lecturers asked you to research the 'music industry' - that's frankly a foolish question, unless they're being sneaky to find out what an entire cohort think it means, so they can be firmly pointed in a different direction. The reason it rang alarm bells was that it sounded like the usual junior educator's cop out question - so HUGE in scope that any conclusions you come up with will be flawed. It's the same as when they tell you to research Hitler's Germany - an impossible task without a steer in a history class. You could answer it by relating it to starting as a Corporal and ending up the Commander in Chief, or of course the more unpleasant side of the history, but equally you could probably slant it to mental illness, or turn it into a real study on how heirachy breaks down.

In the music industry here in the UK, we had big explosions with clever producers - obviously George Martin, but then Mickey Most, moving into Stock, Aitken and Waterman - or in other genres, Andrew Lloyd Webber, Tim Rice, Cameron Mackintosh.

See the problem - without direction, you've got an endless subject. I'd treat the question as either stupid, or devious. You know the member of staff who set it - what do you think they have in their head? We'll help, but really you need to tell us what you think a good answer is, and we'll help by fact checking.

I am doing research on any changes.
If you are indeed researching changes within the music industry....why limit changes to the past two or three years? You need to broaden the scope of your research by at least 60 years (possibly 70 years) to attain an understanding of how it is artists like Robert Johnson, BB King, Chuck Berry, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones and numerous other artists contributed to the evolution of rock and roll music. And while you're at it....do a bit of research to attain an understanding of why the majority of current country music atists are "cookie cutter" song writers and performers at best.

And while you're at it....do a bit of research to attain an understanding of why the majority of current country music atists are "cookie cutter" song writers and performers at best.
I would contend that it isn't just country music... Anything that plays on non-"classics" radio fits that description IMO.

I would contend that it isn't just country music... Anything that plays on non-"classics" radio fits that description IMO.

On that point...I agree with your assessment of the overall state of music these days. There's nothing new or ground breaking at all.

About 10 years ago, this little mashup came out. It shows a bit of how a trend can take root and things get homogenized. It's happened in rock, hip hop, country. It's the old story of "give 'em what they like".

About 10 years ago, this little mashup came out. It shows a bit of how a trend can take root and things get homogenized. It's happened in rock, hip hop, country. It's the old story of "give 'em what they like".

Last summer -- back when I listened to a ton of Country radio -- I noticed 3 different songs about exactly the same thing (selling a truck because of memories associated with it) and they even had some rhymes in common...

Back