Music from Big Pink

SilentSound

Hello all. I'm Matt and I'm the only 24 year old who is probably wondering about how "The Band" recorded this album(supposedly fairly live on 4-track).

I've read "This Wheel's on Fire" by Levon Helm but find it a little biased towards them being amazing. I think this album is fucking awesome but upon close listen there seems to be a lot going on and the only thing that's implausible is Garth Hudson's(keys)parts and the saxes he's credited to have played.

Does anyone have a subjective source: interview with Dylan, interview with the engineer(s?) Tony May, Shelly Yakus, Rex Updergraft, Don Hahn...

I heard there was one engineer for the woodstock sessions. Don't flame me for not doing a lame internet search. I'm looking for the rare person on here who knows anything reliable.. good evening

matt

http://theband.hiof.no/albums/session_discography.html
http://theband.hiof.no/articles/m01_tntdodd.html

"Despite the title, Music From Big Pink wasn't recorded in the basement there; it came from 4- and 8-track sessions at A&R Studios in Manhattan, and Capitol and Gold Star Studios in Hollywood."

8-track, can be noted, was the bleeding edge of recording at that time. Although the first 8-track was made by Ampex already 1955, at the request of Les Paul, it didn't become standard in the recording industry until around 68-69.

You can however assume that is was recorded "fairly live", as almost all music was then. It wasn't until 16-tracks became common a couple of years later that producers started recording rock bands instrument by instrument.

The myth that Big Pink was recorded in the basement of the house probably stemmed from the fact that earlier recordings with Dylan where done there and on the sleeve of the album, it refers to the house this way......."It's the first witness of this album that's been thought and composed right there inside it's walls".........although it doesn't say "recorded", some people probably misunderstood and confused the facts.

Regardless of how and where it was recorded, it is one righteous and awesome album as were the follow-ups.

:cool:

ausrock said:
The myth that Big Pink was recorded in the basement of the house probably stemmed from the fact that earlier recordings with Dylan where done there and on the sleeve of the album, it refers to the house this way......."It's the first witness of this album that's been thought and composed right there inside it's walls".........although it doesn't say "recorded", some people probably misunderstood and confused the facts.

Regardless of how and where it was recorded, it is one righteous and awesome album as were the follow-ups.

:cool:
get the dvd The Band(classic Album series) they talk about music from big pink on it. The songs where written in the house.

Back