music and copyrights

Jeff_D

I know a few of you out there are lawyers and such so here's my question.

I work for an Architecture firm and one of my most current tasks is to take a few rendered animations of a church (.avi), make it into one and add our logo at the bottom for presentation to the above mentioned church. It would be very nice to add a musical track but since most music is copywrited, using it for a business presentation would be i big no-no (right?).

I am under the impression that copywrites expire at some point- Is that true?

If it is true, would the law allow the use of, say a Mozart song in our business presentation since presumably the copywrite, if there ever was one, has long since expired (I guessing)?

If anyone can shed any light on this for me I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks-
jeff

kremitmusic said:
I know a few of you out there are lawyers and such so here's my question.

I work for an Architecture firm and one of my most current tasks is to take a few rendered animations of a church (.avi), make it into one and add our logo at the bottom for presentation to the above mentioned church. It would be very nice to add a musical track but since most music is copywrited, using it for a business presentation would be i big no-no (right?).

I am under the impression that copywrites expire at some point- Is that true?

If it is true, would the law allow the use of, say a Mozart song in our business presentation since presumably the copywrite, if there ever was one, has long since expired (I guessing)?

If anyone can shed any light on this for me I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks-
jeff

you'll need 2 lawyers to consult with the authors lawyer and a contract lawyer to draw up etc etc... yeah, right, get a $69 midi keyboard and make a few tracks, then give it all away...

you've entered the most screwed up area of law in current times, imho, not that there all not, my fee is $200hr, pay up ;)

yamaha and other mini keyboard makers do get the rights "somewhere" to repclacate the preset muzak played on them, Mozart and such but i have no idea where or how, "copyright" is morphing daily from what i've seen spewed across the web, thanks to the RIAA :( ....

best luck, be careful, you could get sued... no doubt...

Last edited:
Actually, I do believe that the copyright is cancelled when the author has been dead for 50 ot 75 years or something like that. I think I know it, even. But that is to the actual SCORE, which means that any orchestra can play it, and so on. A recording would be a different matter, of course.

My two shiny cents.

Thanks for the replys guys. All i wanna do is take my Behtoven for dumbies cd- rip a track to wav- and insert it as background music behind the computer animation we did for this client. I would gladly give credit to the author and the orchestra performing it.

Fusion- I know things are pretty sticky in this arena. The last thing I need to do is get my employer sued ;) - that wouldnt do much good for my career- besides- i kinda like this employer.

Ragata- if the score isnt copywrited- can the performance be?

Anyone else provide any insight?

Indeed, but If I'm not mistaken; a recording by a particular orchestra, with a particular conductor, preformed and recorded in, say, royal albert hall and released by EMI...that particular performace/recording would be protected. And most important of all - that's three 'particulars' in one sentence.

Once again, I'm pretty certain this is the case, but hell - I don't know everything, I just like to pretend that I do :D

ragata said:
Indeed, but If I'm not mistaken; a recording by a particular orchestra, with a particular conductor, preformed and recorded in, say, royal albert hall and released by EMI...that particular performace/recording would be protected. And most important of all - that's three 'particulars' in one sentence.

Once again, I'm pretty certain this is the case, but hell - I don't know everything, I just like to pretend that I do :D

Good point...
Can the church organist play Mozart?

Well then he'd just be playing a non-copyrighted score, right?
And I'm sure it's been done.

Back